ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stealth mk2 and FK opinion!!

172 Ph2
As a few of you know I recently bought a 172 phase two and have set about doing a few 'upgrades' to it. The first two things were the suspension and exhaust system. A few PPl wanted me to do a little review of these and I was planning on posting a few vid clips but the car is covered in 4 inches of snow at the moment! Anyway, here's a few pics and comments for the time being, I'll pop some sound clips up later;) !

K-Tec stealth mk2 with sports cat:

When I got the car off of Danny the cat had completely broken and the back-box was a bit of a nasty twin 3" job anyway so I went on the look-out for a new complete system. Having looked at a few options I decided that the only tail-pipe I liked on the clio was the 182 style twin exit style and although k-tec do one of these for the 172, I didn't really think it was 'right' to try and make my 172 look like a 182!

After having a chat with the guys at k-tec my mind was made up and I went for a mk2 steath system. The new system is increased diameter (now 2.5") and has been developed to be quiet at cruising speed but 'rorty' when you put you foot down. The sports cat looked a nice piece of kit and was only £300 so worked out cheaper than a new cat from Renault.

When the system arrived I was pleased to see that there was a lot of adjustablilty built In and all of the hangers were able to be moved, the build quality was fantasitc too. I dropped it off at my local garage and they popped it on for me, commenting that is was 'a joy to fit'. Brilliant!

zorst.jpg

First imressions were great. The exhaust sounded awsome under full boot and gave the car a real 'race-car' like sound, even better than any group 'n' exhausts I've had on previous cars. It didn't look chavvy either with the zorst tucked under the bumper! I later drove over to try my Dad's house to try his standard 172. The gains from the zorst/cat were very apparent! There was noticably more pull from low-down and my car felt noticably more lively and responsive, It made a way way better sound too:D

After establishing that there was a difference in performance and noise, I was interested in what it would be like on the motorway. I'm pleased to report that it's perfectly liveable and not very intrusive at all when cruising at 80ish, mind you I used to do that trip in an S1 Elise:eek:

The only downside so far is the rattle. I took the car back to the garage who fitted it yesterday and they thought I would be a straight-forward 'tweak'. It turns out that the middle box is rattling internally! I rang K-tec and this is the 2nd one they've had do this and they've discovered what the problem is. The two skins on the centre box are a bit too close together and when the exhaust get hot the catch on each other. They are addressed this and the new batch with not suffer this problem. To give them credit they were very helpful and have send me a new centre box out under warrenty! We'll see if this one does the same!!

172 Ph2
FK HIGHSPORTS:

The 2nd upgrade I made that week was a set of coil-overs. I shopped around and narrowed my choice down to 3. H+R, Billies or FK's! The H+R were said to be the best choice for the road and I'd decided to go for a set. I was just waiting for a couple of quote to come back when I saw a brand new set of FK's for £400 and decided this was too good to miss. I know the H+R would have been better but as I'm no Ayrton Senna then I was sure the FK would be fine, all I was worried about was the notorious firm ride.

When they arrived I had them fitted straight on and set up roughly by my local garage. The ride height was set as low as it could go at the back and the front was set to match! This resulted in lots of scraping on inclines and weels hitting arch liners over bumpy b-roads, I then raised it to the height shown below(sorry, rubbish photo):

sideshop.gif

This looked cool but I still had a problem with bumpy b-roads and scraping, along with not being able to get over speed bumps. I decided to raise it up to about an overall drop of appox -40mm. This made a huge difference. The car could be driven over un-even surfaces fast without any scraping and has meant it's perfectly practical where-ever I drive, even over those silly island speed bumps!! This is the height now:

rear.jpg

side.jpg

IMG_4471.gif

The handling is vastly improved over the 70k standard dampers and Apex springs. The Apex's make the FK's feel like rolls royce suspension over bumps!!! Compared to standard springs and dampers the FKs are firmer but nowhere near as bad as I was lead to belive. Slow speed ride is even (dare I say) supple! There is way way more body control with hardly any roll! The only downside is the lack of travel compared to the standard set-up. This is just the nature of the product really and not an FK specific issue, I'm sure I'd find the same with H+R's or Billies! When pushing really hard on a really lumpy B-road section, a well set-up standard car would probably have the edge, but most of the time the FK's are well under control! I am geeting more used to the car though and the more I drive it the more I'm Impressed by the FK's, They really were a bargain. I was meant to go to Powerstation today and have a 4 wheel alignment and camber set-up done but the snow has stopped that, I'll report on the changes that makes!

Last edited:
  172 Ph2
Looks good mate.

When my standard exhaust goes i think i'm going to go for a Ktec steath.
How much did it cost all together?

The zorst was £370 the cat was £270 the FK's were £410 and it was £170 fitting for the lot. Total of £1220:S

Clio 172 mk2
Looks good

I have the original K-tec stealth and a Janspeed sports cat on my 172 and I'm pretty happy with it.

It would be interesting to drive a car with a standard exhaust on now to see how different the car is in sound & performance.

looking very nice, always been a fan of dannys car, looks great lowered on the fks and sure the stealth sounds great as well, prefer a stealth over a big obvious back box any day!

jamie

Chocolate Bar™
good write up on the FK's. i am in the same boat trying to decide what suspension to go for, and so i think i'll probably opt for the FK's and spunk the change on something unnecessary lol

172 Ph2
good write up on the FK's. i am in the same boat trying to decide what suspension to go for, and so i think i'll probably opt for the FK's and spunk the change on something unnecessary lol

I'm sure that H+R's are better but they're nearly double the price! The FK's are pretty good really! Comapred to OE replacements they're a bargain! You'll not be dissappointed! I'm gonna get a new cultch with the change;)

Chocolate Bar™
can i assume you got them off rimstyle for £400. wish i had the cash, as now they're about £455 iirc.

172 Ph2
can i assume you got them off rimstyle for £400. wish i had the cash, as now they're about £455 iirc.

Yeh, got them from Rimstyle, very helpfull, quick delivery and a great price (they did need to shift what they had though!!).

looks amazing mate great subtle changes you have made were those prices with any discount mate and has your engine light come on at all??

looks amazing mate great subtle changes you have made were those prices with any discount mate and has your engine light come on at all??

172 Ph2

No lights at all and the emissions are fine. The price I've quoted are from 'shopping around' but should be about the norm. The Zorst was full price, the cat was a bit of a deal and the FK's were a deal from Rimstyle too! We're only talking £40-50 either way on the dampers and cat though!

172 Ph2
Just a quick update on the Stealth system. As I mentioned above it has been making a really annoying rattle ever since I fitted it. This was due to a faulty centre box. True to their word, K-tec sent a new section out asap. I took it up to my local friendly garage and half and hour later the new box was on. When the car was fired up, the problem was the same! :mad: :mad: New section, same rattle, albiet not quite as bad! It's really starting to wind me up now. It cost me another 30mins labour to have it fitted and put the garage out a fair bit as they fitted it on the spot for me! I rang K-tec and they said they're getting a new 'revised' batch in on monday so all I can do is wait for them to arrive and hope the problem is sorted! Oh well, at least K-tec are happy to sort the problem out;)

172 Ph2
The FK's are going fine and I still rate their performance and great value. Having covered nearly 2,000 miles with them now I reckon they are a bit on the firm side. The slow speed ride is fine but they get a little over-whelmed on the lumpy stuff when pushing on a bit! This is where a Trophy or standard RS clio would really come into it's own. I can't belive how high my old 182 sat though! No wonder it was better on the lumby stuff!

IMG_4025-1.gif

VS

rear.jpg

M2 Competition
Your car looks mint matey :) love it.

I had a mk1 stealth, and rattled constantly, but was due to the bend over the axle not being big enough. Shame the mk2's are having problems, as otherwise these are nice exhausts.

based on your opinions mate for the ktec zorst i am never having one for sure ktec quality seems to suck in a big way and they are very very expensive good luck with the hole thing buddy

172 Ph2
let us know when it gets sorted. mine 2001 will be needing those bits soon!!

Will do mate, I guess us 2001 boys are all in the same boat. Just had a clutch fitted today! Wow what a difference! That does make nearly £1500 in the last month:( Oh well, I feels like I've got a new car now, only better(Well better than a 197:rasp: ) I bought the Clio to avoid the running costs of my Elsie:S

172 Ph2
jesus mate but monet well spent for sure

I reckon that although old cars my cost a bit to get tipp topp, they're still worth the spend. My 172 with 78K is way more exciting than my 182 with 10K was! No Warrenty to worry about voiding, coil-overs, sports exhaust, a bit of a unique look and even after the big spend, my 172 has cost £2000 less than I sold my 182 for!

172 Ph2
exactly mate enjoy it you have a practically new car now well done buddy

It's had new tyres, new coil pack, new leads and even a new stereo in the last 2 months too! You've gotta love it, I have a mate with a golf that's done 190,000 and he's not replaced a thing other than cheap service parts. Oh well I do like my cars to be 100% and he is a boring b*****d for owning 2 Golfs and never taking them on the track;) !

2003 clio sport 172
I took delivery of a K-Tec Stealth today and Hubby fitted as he used to be in the trade, Very Throaty low down and great rasp when its on the boil.
No rattle on mine and it only took 40 mins to fit, Great quality and loads of adjustment.....Get one!!! its the lick:rasp: .
Cost £360 inc delivery.

172 Ph2
Still one of the nicest cars on the site.

Cheers mate;) It's getting better as time goes on too:D I can't think of what to do next though! Maybe some engine work??? I think it's plenty rapid enough as it is anyway though. I'm loving being back behind the wheel of a clio and unlike my old Elise, I can drive it in the rain and the roof doesn't leak:D !

172 Ph2
I like Turinis! They're the only wheel that I'd have on a RS clio! The 182 wheel are a big heavy lumps and don't look that great either!

No more clio's for me!
Ah, the old bus...looking sweet as ever!! :D

In a way i do miss it! :(

Go for the black wheels mate, looked so good with the standard wheels in black, will look even better with the turinis!

IMG_3940.jpg

Dan

2003 clio sport 172
I like Turinis! They're the only wheel that I'd have on a RS clio! The 182 wheel are a big heavy lumps and don't look that great either!
but they dont look too good on a silver 172 though!! look great on Black like yours!!!