ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering Column Lock removal and Central Locking

Sigmamark

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 530 Touring
I'm planning to remove the steering column lock and route the ignition and starter cables to switches in a new panel where the radio once lived. I also want to disable the auto locking system when I drive off.
Any tips gratefully received.

Sigmamark

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 530 Touring
Other than the response from Jackson on how to disable the central locking, unfortunately not!

172 Ph1
I'm planning to remove the steering column lock and route the ignition and starter cables to switches in a new panel where the radio once lived.

To be honest - I know what you want to do , but you actually haven't asked a question.
You just say your planning on moving the ignition to switches .

I guess your wanting any info regarding has anyone done this successfully.
Am I right ?

We're all willing to help where we can .

Im planning on totally relocating the barel to the dash, put the key fob in the decoder ring and tape it there, then hide away in the dash.

So in turn i guess thats removing the steering lock, as no barrel no steering lock..

On the switches front - I'm asking around for some wiring diagrams.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Here's how I did mine, this may not be the correct way but it worked for me, I have no idea if this is then road legal but as my car is strictly for track it doesn't affect me :) ;)

I'll start with the ignition barrel already out of the car like so
20151030_101846.jpg

Its the prong bit that needs removing
20151030_101900.jpg

First off remove the two torx screws on the back of the barrel (t20 torx, same size as the grub screw for the barrel itself), and then carefully slide the metal collar from around the steering lock, once this is off the wiring part will also come off, as the metal collar holds this in place also, leaving everything like this
20151030_102004.jpg

So now you have access to the locking part itself and its just a case of cutting the big metal bit off, I chose to go through the thin part as it was easier, probably best to use a hacksaw so you can control things
20151030_102013.jpg
20151030_102227.jpg

Now its just a case of refitting everything and putting back into the car, start off by returning the wiring and then sliding the metal collar back on, screw together and job done, no steering lock.

Here's how I did mine, this may not be the correct way but it worked for me, I have no idea if this is then road legal but as my car is strictly for track it doesn't affect me :) ;)

I'll start with the ignition barrel already out of the car like so
View attachment 139498
Its the prong bit that needs removing
View attachment 139499
First off remove the two torx screws on the back of the barrel (t20 torx, same size as the grub screw for the barrel itself), and then carefully slide the metal collar from around the steering lock, once this is off the wiring part will also come off, as the metal collar holds this in place also, leaving everything like this
View attachment 139500
So now you have access to the locking part itself and its just a case of cutting the big metal bit off, I chose to go through the thin part as it was easier, probably best to use a hacksaw so you can control things
View attachment 139501 View attachment 139502
Now its just a case of refitting everything and putting back into the car, start off by returning the wiring and then sliding the metal collar back on, screw together and job done, no steering lock.
Thanks for taking the time mate.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
That's ok, I'd planned on removing mine ready for next year on track but I couldn't find anything anywhere about removing so I thought I'd take it apart and see what happens. I'm an ex mechanic anyway so these things don't worry me, there's alway a way of fixing things if you go wrong

That's ok, I'd planned on removing mine ready for next year on track but I couldn't find anything anywhere about removing so I thought I'd take it apart and see what happens. I'm an ex mechanic anyway so these things don't worry me, there's alway a way of fixing things if you go wrong
Yeah course there is! are you just keeping standard ignition or going to switch and button.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
For now I'm keeping things standard, hopefully will be out in production/production plus class of the tricolore series, at the moment it was a case of ticking off boxes on my ever growing list of jobs to be done lol, eventually will be switch/button system

For now I'm keeping things standard, hopefully will be out in production/production plus class of the tricolore series, at the moment it was a case of ticking off boxes on my ever growing list of jobs to be done lol, eventually will be switch/button system
Yeah production plus suits the bill doesn't it!

Yeah ok fair enough, that's probably what I should do haha, worry about that later kinda thing!

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Yeah production plus suits the bill doesn't it!

Yeah ok fair enough, that's probably what I should do haha, worry about that later kinda thing!

I'm itching to get out so at the moment it's balancing things between what I'd like to do and what I need to do to be ready, and then I can work around things when I'm ready