ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

steering/handleing gone to pot, almost crashed!

clio 172 ph2 02 reg
Hi everyone,
Hope someone can point me in the right direction. Other day my front end decided to scare me, first time I ever lost control in 4 years of driving my 172 (and 7 years driving in total).

Anyhow im still here, escaped unhurt but deffo dont want to face something like that again, im confident something has failed on my car (and not just in my mind since the scare).

Anyway now, the steering wheel is really light at time, ever driving over crack or tarmac changes in the road starts to feedback down the wheel like it never did before, and when turning corners, lets say a very sligh long corner the front end feels likes its slipping and going to give.

I have done the shock test, and checked for leaks etc but they seem fine, as is tyre grip and pressure, what else can I check, would you thnk the likley things are...
tracking
bearings
bushes
snapped spring?

Any help is greatly received.

clio 172 ph2 02 reg
check the track rods and antiroll bar

Sure thing, I'll check them tomorrow, can you give me tips on where they are? (i have only done a few basic things on the car before, I normally leave call my ex for that but he is no more). Also can I check these things without a ramp or jack?

Ta.

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Note : When Powey says "check the track rods and antiroll bar," he means "Get a man to check the track rods and antiroll bar."

106 GTI
Will need a jack to get under the car
Not really sure on how to check but I think you need to give it a good tug about to see if its all tight

How far away is your MOT?

clio 172 ph2 02 reg
Will need a jack to get under the car
Not really sure on how to check but I think you need to give it a good tug about to see if its all tight

How far away is your MOT?
It only just went at start of april, tester said it flew through it.

I checked all my wheel bolts, because it does feel just like one was coming loose, but they were all tight.

clio 172 ph2 02 reg
Re-read your first post, whats the condition of your top mounts

I just looked on k-tec to make sure i knew what top mounts are! lol.
Umm if my wheels are stright they look fine (maybe a cm or so btween the rubber an chassis), if my wheels are turn like at full lock, one of them (depending which way the wheel is turned) is at a umm 85 degree angle or so, should they do this?