ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

steering noise (click/clunk)

53' 172 Cup
iv started gettin quite a lound clicking/clunking noise when manoeuvreing at slow speeds and when turing the wheel stationary. it seems to do it when warm or cold but only when slow manoeuvre or stationary. i put some eibachs on a couple of months ago and think maybe its something to do with the top strut or the spring?? any ideas??

Clio 1.2 (progress)
my car does the same its random though, mines 07 plate hmmm.. like when you turn the wheel its will just make a slight knock noise my car is standard, i asked my dealers apprently its the ABS testing?

Blk/Gold 182 FF
i get exactly the same problem, but ive got a standard 182 with wheel cup packs, wen i drive into my drive at an obvious low speed, turn the wheel full lock to get in and it just goes 'grrrrrrrr clunk clunk clunk' and then again wen i straight'en up and brake :S tis very weird i must say

Blk/Gold 182 FF
when i full lock to the right, i get a kind of stress noise :S and then wen i start moving i get the clunk, clunk, clunk...., to me it kinda feels like the car jumps or hops :S tis wierd, then sometimes it seems like my tracking goes off centre

Lots of Alfas
Also check the steering rack mounts. the rubber can crack and cause the symtoms your descirbing. Tighten the subframe bolts to see if this temporarily resolves the issue proving its the mounts.

182 trackday racer
My car have only been on the road for about 500km since I fitted with Powerflex bushes for lower arms (bush rings welded) + full antirollbar kit as well as Bilstein Coilover kit. All been greased propperly with copperpaste prior to fitting.

And it "clonks" almost like its from the springs when I turn the steering wheel a lot, it did the same before fitting these items but not as loud. I have tried with the strut washers recomended by Fred for this problem. It reduced the problem while om stock springs but did not effect it at all on coilovers.

/m

clio 1.4 16v 02
sorry to bump and old thread but, did any1 find a fix for this problem? this is my first clio and first drive today, my steering clunks when parking (1 loud cluck each way when turning stationary) its a pretty aggressive cluck aswell I can feel it in the steering wheel too!

"Navy" N17 TWO
sorry to bump and old thread but, did any1 find a fix for this problem? this is my first clio and first drive today, my steering clunks when parking (1 loud cluck each way when turning stationary) its a pretty aggressive cluck aswell I can feel it in the steering wheel too!

I have exactly this too :S - did you resolve yours in the end?

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
One of my old 172's done this, it eventually destroyed the gearbox. Was something to do with the diff.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
I've no idea matey, whatever happened to it destroyed the main shaft in the box.

172 Cup
I've just had exactly the same problem with mine.

I presumed it was the usual case of needing washers put in, however when I fitted the washer the noise got worse.
Stripped it down and some how I've managed to crack the housing of the bearings in the strut, perhaps taking the whole strut apart and rebuilding might show something less obvious?

"Navy" N17 TWO
Spoke to K-Tec yesterday and one of the guys who has the same setup as me had this noise too - got the front wheels off and tightened a nut under the dustcover on the front shocks.
Very helpful and worth a try I guess :)

I've no idea matey, whatever happened to it destroyed the main shaft in the box.

Any other symptoms to look out for? Kind of got me worried now - as my luck with cars isn't that great lol

Last edited:

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
most of the time they bang from left to right because the bearings in the strut had died!!

first time i fitted lowering springs i fitted the bearing and bush in the wrong ordered and it caused the very aggressive bang!

however, if like some people you have a constant clunking / skipping when manouvering on full lock, thats more likely to be a CV joint or diff issue!

"Navy" N17 TWO
I used to get the spring "bong/twang" noise and the odd bang from the strut but this is different, not like a knocking click noise as such - sounds more like a sudden loud snap!

Only get it once in either direction, not necessarily at full lock and not all of the time either :S

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
My 2007 DCi does it as well from time to time. Usually like first thing in the morning/ leaving work at slow speeds.

Feels like a "lump" through the steering wheel.

"Navy" N17 TWO
I don't feel anything in the steering - at least not that I've noticed

I'll try make the noise again tomorrow and get a mate to watch over the engine bay - see if we can source it

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
Turning left it would click click click CLUNK..

When I say clunk, it felt like the whole car moves lol.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Ahh well mines not doing that - just making a loud noise as if something is under stress (apart from the nut holding the wheel) :clown:

"Navy" N17 TWO
Now I'm getting a few "clicks" in either direction, not all the time and they don't occur at the same wheel positions (I thought it only happened when whipping the full lock off)

Yeh I have noticed this happen to my 182 at slow speeds, usually when turning slightly to the right. It is not a loud, banging noise just a feeble squeeking noise if that makes sense.

Also the clutch whenever I press it in makes a sort of swooosh noise, which I always find odd.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Mine is ONLY when stationary, and when there is friction & the wheels are under load - if the surface is slippery, loose or even wet - no noise :S

Arctic 182, GTD
Im sure I have the same problem. Only notice it at slow speeds doesn't matter what way I turn, cars in the garage on Saturday and will hopefully diagnose the problem.

Im sure I have the same problem. Only notice it at slow speeds doesn't matter what way I turn, cars in the garage on Saturday and will hopefully diagnose the problem.

If you get anymore news on Saturday, can you give us a shout?

I am not sure if it's the build quality of Renaults but there seems to be a lot of creaks coming from the clutch/steering at slow speeds on my 182 only after a fairly long journey.

Arctic 182, GTD
Yeah mate I'll post up my findings. Hopefully nothing to expensive!! Hopefully it'll be something like engine mounts as I'm looking to upgrade them soon anyway.

clio 172 no2/ yzf r1
I've had this for a while now and have given up here's a list I've got thru and it's still there . Top mounts , coilies , driveshafts,outer track rods , ball joints, I'm thinking it has something to do with the steering rack but am not taking on the job of doing 1 of them as I've heard they are a right b*****d to fit

clio 172 no2/ yzf r1
At the same time these were Top of the line parts . My m8s 172 has just started to do the same do am Gunna see what he replaces . It kinda helps with these that you can do it yourself as labour is pricey these days