ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering play help please

As I was sat in the queue trying to get out of RWS yesterday I noticed at a standstill and very slow speeds some slight play in the steering wheel of my 172 cup, accompanied by a faint knocking sensation felt through the wheel. I reached down to the bottom of the steering shaft and wiggled the wheel to see if felt more pronounced at the shaft. I could then definitely feel a slight knocking. I tried it with the engine running and with the engine off (I had plenty of time to experiment with nothing else to do!) and it was only felt with the engine running.

I have recently been all round under the car and have checked all the usual things with the running gear when I had my wheels off for another job and found everything ok. So I'm guessing it must be at the power steering/steering rack end of things that I haven't really checked.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the car's a 2003 with 26000 on the clock.

I had a quick search on here and found a few bits of info but just wondered if anyone who's had a similar problem could point out what it might be and what the potential assault on the pocket might be too?! :(

Last edited: