ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering rack, car is tramlining and very twitchy.

Hi,

I been having a few issues with the cars handling (tramlining really bad, oversteering and steering wheel not sitting stright).

At first I put it down to the weather, however now its started to get better I got the tracking done which I thought would sort some of the issues, but nope its still the same and I have been advised it could be the steering rack. I have checked the simple stuff (springs, shocks, tyres etc). Anyone know if a knackered steering rack is credible for these type of symptons, if so anything DIY wise I can do or is is a garage job?

Thankyou for the replies.

ITB'd MK1
could well be the inner track rod ends (attached to the steering rack). They're a fairly common thing to see worn on a clio, and they cause vagueness of the steering.

Oversteer is most likely something to do with rear shocks

cLIO 172
Mine has started doing this recently:( , quite bad on some corners, feels almost like i've got flat tyre or one at very low pressure. Tramlines and is really wandery at times, a lil unsettling! Gonna gte underneath it today and try and work out whats doing on! :dapprove:

Have you found out the issue with yours yet Cleo?

Suzuki Jimny
Mine is doing this quite badly now, nearly pulled me into a parked car today :(

Is it definately going to be the track rod ends before I go chucking more money at the stupid car...

Ph1 172 & meg 225 lu
Mine was doing the same sort of things, I've changed the track arms and lower arm bushes and it's sorted but not 100% on which was causing the problems but I'd say track arms and track rod ends first, you can do them diy if you have some general knowledge of car repair

if you bring it over to me I'll have a look for ya and cast my oppinion

cLIO 172
Had mine checked by a garage near my end yesterday and on jacking it up the bottom part of the spring fell out.:dapprove: it was only a small part of the section that sits on tyhe damper, but i think that could of given me the issues.

Checked for play in the steering and mine was ok, no issues with the track rod ends at all.

Changing it for new springs today and new tyres going on over the weekend so will see how it goes.