ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering rack - To replace or not to replace...

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and RS Clio 172 (ph1) ownership, but I already have a problem with the car. I don't want to take it to a garage (difficult as it's a track car and not road legal) as I am sick of paying other people to do jobs that I could do myself with a bit of help and guidance.

I noticed that the car was dropping oil and eventually realised it was power steering fluid. Having now been under the car I have identified that there is a very small hole in one of the small metal pipes on the rack. The hole appears to have been caused by the bracket for the heat shield rubbing the pipe (I'd upload a photo if it was a case of copy and paste...).

To me it seems the only option is to remove the rack, or does anyone have any good ideas for an easy repair?

If the only option is to remove the rack, has anyone done this on one of these? If so, any hints, tips, instructions? Having been underneath the car there is so little room, it's like they built the car around the engine. Having looked at a haynes manual (for a ph2) as a guide, I am hoping and praying it's a case of unbolting parts and sliding the rack out of the car side ways and not a case of removing the sub frame, etc. Am I being naive or should it be relatively straight forward? Do I have to remove any anciliary parts to make the job easier? Is the pas pump part of the rack or a seperate item?

Sorry for all the questions, but any help would be excellent.

Cheers!