ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

steering wheel alignment issue

16v 1.6 Clio MK3 GT
today i got 2 new front tyres, 2 front springs off a car in the yard, a wheel hub and complete leg.

driving away from the garage i noticed the steering wheel was off to the left when driving straight and when steering wheel is straight i would go into oncoming traffic towards the right.

went to sts to get tracking checked, tracking is fine.... they even showed me the steering wheel dead straight on the alignment system!

sts mentioned something about the steering rack? any ideas guys as to what this problem could be?

Nimbus Clio 197
The steering wheel on my astra wasn't straight when I bought it, and wasn't straight when I changed the track rods and had kwik fit do a tracking reset. Took it for a proper 4 wheel laser alignment on a Hunter machine and when finished the steering wheel was straight. I'd suggest to have that done.

16v 1.6 Clio MK3 GT
*bump*
im still having issues with this. Took it to another garage which told me they could replace the lower arms but that it wud be no guarantee that it would solve the issue. Anyone have any ideas?

16v 1.6 Clio MK3 GT
been to 3 garages so far, none could find a problem. so i decided to jack the car up today and found this has a lot of play in its balljoint
am i correct in thinking it is the trackrod end? and if so im guessing this is the culprit!?

20130803_181127.jpg

16v 1.6 Clio MK3 GT
i gave this another closer inspection the otherday and now im not so sure after seeing a vid on youtube. i tried moving the hub by holding the disc and there was no movement whatsoever left right up or down. and no visible movement on the joint area.

thing is when i grab the tie rod i can rotate it a bit, but i cant on the otherside of the car its stiffer. im guessing thats just normal since the otherside does too?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
It needs to go to a proper alignment place.

They'll soon be able to tell you if something's goosed so they can't align it. They'll often tell you this for free. Go off and get it changed, then return and have it aligned.

16v 1.6 Clio MK3 GT
ive been to sts, they had it on the hunter tracking system, steering wheel dead streight saw it with my own eyes. alignment is perfect, but yet the car veers to the right when driving and you have to hold steering wheel off to the left

16v 1.6 Clio MK3 GT
new tyres, pressures all correct, even tried swapping front with rear tyres. it has 2 struts and springs off a 40000 mile car that was in cit-rens yard. ive personally done the rear shocks and springs too.