ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering wheel ClockSpring - non cruise, how to fit?

Renault Clio mk2
Anyone know how to fit a second hand squib (clock spring)? any tips or alignments would be grateful apart from the obvious 'make sure the wheels are straight'

Thanks - Alex

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone know how to fit a second hand squib (clock spring)? any tips or alignments would be grateful apart from the obvious 'make sure the wheels are straight'

Thanks - Alex
Disconnect battery and have a coffee or a fag for 5 mins
Unclip top bit of plastic on the top of the wheel and remove, just needs a sharp pull
undo two torx bolts on plastic underneath the wheel and remove
use two screw drivers to gently pry the airbag clips off (two holes at 3 and 9 oclock on the back of the wheel, mine was very tricky
airbag will pop out, disconnect both connectors and remove
undo large torx bolt holding wheel on 70% of the way
Pull on the wheel to unsieze it from the spindle

remove the bolt, disconnect the wires and remove wheel
remove bolt on the clamp at the back of the squib
undo clip on the squib (don't remember exactly where this is but its on the back at the bottom somewhere)

Repeat for new one - when refitting the clock spring pay attention to the orange indicator light. IIRC it will be orange when the angle sensor is straight and it goes to black when its not? You can just spin the sensor with your finger. Double check your current one before you remove it to check this as it can cause really annoying esp light to come on.

Instructions in bold because I did not do this and I yanked my steering wheel off and broke my horn wiring, my horn was beeping constantly until I got a new squib :weary:

Good luck