ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering wheel meltage!

Clio 172 PH2
Is their anything i can do to prevent the steering wheel in my 172 melting?

I'm not sure if you can buy some sort of heavy duty leather protector. Thats if it actually is leather?
Suggestions... or do i just have to live with the fact my steering wheel's got the same properties as a mr whippy.

106 GTi
Some people have covered the wheel with a towel when parking in the sun. No products alone will save it though.

Clio 172 PH2
Ahh right i may start covering it then, cheers. I would get one of those wrap round covers but they look s**te.
It's not too bad at the moment it's done 34k and is starting to show signs of going.
Thanks for your help mate

Clio 172 PH2
No airbag then though, may do eventually.

I've heard from a mate that renault were in an 'act of good will' replacing melted steering wheels anyone no if this is true?

A4 Avant & A3
mines gone a bit on the right hand side.. the rest looks like new??!!!
Mines only done 23k aswell!
I've taken to covering it when in the sun.

106 GTi
No airbag then though, may do eventually.

I've heard from a mate that renault were in an 'act of good will' replacing melted steering wheels anyone no if this is true?

People have had them done in the warranty period, not sure if anyone has managed to get one changed outside of that.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Mines done 63k and it's about the only part of the car thats alright.

Clio 172 PH2
I may replace it in the future keep you in mind gaz cheers.

If only clio's were made out of quality materials!! Part of the charm i spose, always something to do!!

Trophy #267
£100 is a very good price !
Depending on how far out of warranty your car is, you may be able to get customer services to cover part of the cost. I had the same issue with mine @ 3year 2 months and got 80% of the cost + a small fitting cost which cost me £70 all in for a new wheel which I was happy with

172 Cup
I cover mine whenever its parked up and wear gloves on long trips- look like abit of a muppet but sack having a minging steering wheel.

Tangoed Works
Had mine replaced at 20k or so as the thumb grips just self destructed in the heat. No cost, warranty replacement.