ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering wheel not straight - alignment is fine

Renault Clio 182
My Clio 182 recently passed its MOT (and trying to sell it) but I went out for a drive to keep the battery topped up and suddenly noticed the steering wheel wasn't straight as I was driving. It's turned to the right when I'm driving straight. When I turn left it seems to correct itself and then when I turn the wheel to the right it doesn't correct itself but I'm still driving straight.

I had two new tyres fitted after this, and they did the alignment three times but it didn't fix it. They have no idea. They had a quick look at the suspension and couldn't see any issues.

I'm not handy but any suggestions to take to a mechanic?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-07-26 at 6.44.44 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-07-26 at 6.44.44 PM.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 65

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
So if you turn left and then straighten out the steeing wheel is level but if you turn right and then straighten out its cocked over to the right?

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
If its not the alignment im pretty sure theres a steering rack bush that makes the steering wheel flop around like this.
They drive like a sack of s**t when the rack bushes are gone, super dangerous feeling. If it was fine before... and now its not I would suggest the track rod has been bent or as dave has said a rack bush is gone so the rack is moving about.

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
If you're having to suggest that to the garage, I'd second taking it somewhere else than the place that did the alignment and were stumped by the results.
Where in the country are you?

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I think your add is well written and presented.

I would be temped to say who has done the cambelt and water pump, you likely also had the aux belt changed so worth mentioning that too. Tyres look like Michelins (are the new pair also?) If yes make a point of it.

Car presentation/comments (written as I think of them):

You photograph some curbing but I don't think you mention it, in fact you don't mention any bad points (all car have something to mention). I would be tempted to fit some different center caps as the silver speedline ones stand out like a sore thumb.

Again, large dents in the bonnet but not mentioned in the add, I would get a dent man out to sort as it will make the outside look a ton better.

You do mention something about the radio not working, is it much work to reconnect the speakers or to buy a cheap amp to get them working again?

You make no mention of rust, these are getting to the age now where rust is becoming an issue, filler cap, sills, are behind rear door cards etc. If it has some you should maybe quantify how bad it is, if it has none you should make a point of it.

Gearbox, often at those miles they crunch when doing a hurried 2nd to 3rd shift, if yours does not you should point that out too.

I personally would not mention track days, it doesn't look like a track car.

You do not mention servicing, oil changes, brand of oil used and frequency.

The exhaust looks very wonky - again not mentioned. Likely failed mounts. I would personally fix that and then take a simple but clear picture from every side of the car. Include an under bonnet shot.

You list parts (things which have been done in the last 12 months) but do not say who they were done by or what brands the parts were.

I do not think you have priced the car badly tbh, with a few more details and some better pictures I think you will sell it. Where else have you advertised it?

My take away from looking at your ad is that it is a nice car but likely has more going on than I would like to get involved with, ie, filler cap rust or other... The reason that it my thinking is due to the lack of 'bad points', like you are avoiding mentioning bad points because you think people will be put off.

Good luck with the sale.
Rob

Last edited:
  Renault Clio 182
I think your add is well written and presented.

I would be temped to say who has done the cambelt and water pump, you likely also had the aux belt changed so worth mentioning that too. Tyres look like Michelins (are the new pair also?) If yes make a point of it.

Car presentation/comments (written as I think of them):

You photograph some curbing but I don't think you mention it, in fact you don't mention any bad points (all car have something to mention). I would be tempted to fit some different center caps as the silver speedline ones stand out like a sore thumb.

Again, large dents in the bonnet but not mentioned in the add, I would get a dent man out to sort as it will make the outside look a ton better.

You do mention something about the radio not working, is it much work to reconnect the speakers or to buy a cheap amp to get them working again?

You make no mention of rust, these are getting to the age now where rust is becoming an issue, filler cap, sills, are behind rear door cards etc. If it has some you should maybe quantify how bad it is, if it has none you should make a point of it.

Gearbox, often at those miles they crunch when doing a hurried 2nd to 3rd shift, if yours does not you should point that out too.

I personally would not mention track days, it doesn't look like a track car.

You do not mention servicing, oil changes, brand of oil used and frequency.

The exhaust looks very wonky - again not mentioned. Likely failed mounts. I would personally fix that and then take a simple but clear picture from every side of the car. Include an under bonnet shot.

You list parts (things which have been done in the last 12 months) but do not say who they were done by or what brands the parts were.

I do not think you have priced the car badly tbh, with a few more details and some better pictures I think you will sell it. Where else have you advertised it?

My take away from looking at your ad is that it is a nice car but likely has more going on than I would like to get involved with, ie, filler cap rust or other... The reason that it my thinking is due to the lack of 'bad points', like you are avoiding mentioning bad points because you think people will be put off.

Good luck with the sale.
Rob
Thank you for taking the time to write your reply - excellent feedback. I can give more detail to most of it and will do so as soon as I can. Haven’t mentioned rust as I’m not aware of any - I’ll have a close look to see if I can spot any. Thanks again!

2012 clio 1.2 tce
Check for play in the steering,, while wheel raised get someone to rock the steering wheel while you hold the tyre left and right, If there is play you'll feel it - there should be none,(or maybe a very very tiny amount (if you feel any then bushes or a track rod is most likely culprit.