ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering Wheel Replacement

Clio Sport 182
Our '05 182 cup was suffering from the common thumb grips failing on the steering wheel.
I wondered about trying to repair it with some sort of filler, but the read about replacements on this site, and decided to investigate a replacement/

I can fully recommend Royal Steering Wheels.
The leather is flawless, the stitching perfect and the overall quality excellent.
It transforms the car and it's now a pleasure to spin the wheel.
I opted for plain grainy leather, in black with black stitching, and no definition for the thumb grips.
That came to £ 110, with £ 10 post and pack and a £ 50 refundable deposit for the exchange process.

Jack at Royal Steering wheels kept us informed as to progress, and I think normal delivery is about 2 weeks. Ours took an extra couple of days, but I'm so delighted with it that the delay wasn't a problem.

They will build up a wheel to your personal spec whether leather or alcantara, with lots of other options like colour of stitching etc etc.
They also offer an exchange service, so your car isn't off the road while the new wheel is prepared.

Swapping them over is really easy, takes about 20 mins.
Disconnect battery.
Lever outwards the two air bag clips from the back of the wheel with a blunt wide blade and gently pull the air bag out until you can get to the cable connectors.
The two on the boss are easy to 'squeeze' and seperate. It took me a little longer to work out how to 'unhinge' the yellow air bag ones, but the centre section pulls out, then the whole yellow 'plug' can be gently eased out, either vertically up for the top, and down for the bottom one.
Then with the torx t-50 socket, and the steering lock applied, loosen the central bolt a couple of turns.
Then the worst bit - grasp the wheel top and bottom and using quite a lot of force, try to rock the wheel on the shaft until it pops loose.
I found getting extra leverage from my knee did the trick.
Remove the central bolt, then unthread the cables through the boss.
Re-fitting is simply the reverse, and you can only get the wheel on in one position, so it's realigned.

Have a look at the website, it's well worth browsing, and e-mail jack with your enquiry.

I even took some photos but for some reason I'm not allowed to attach them
If anyone can tell me what I need to do, I'll add them later.

Regards,
Simon

Clio Sport 182
Hi,
No, I'm a real person with a real Clio, live at Cawood near Selby, and have no connection with Royal Steering Wheels.
If you can tell me how to attach photographs I'll put them on straight away - but when I posted it, I was forbidden to include attachments.
Regards,
Simon

Clio Sport 182
Ok, both you cynics, (ha ha) here are a couple of snaps.

Shameless plug it maybe, but it was intended as an oldie enthusiasts (raced in the 5 TS championship many, many years ago admittedly as a backmarker, but had many 5's as road cars inbetween including gordini turbos, and a 172 before returning to the marque just for a bit more fun with this 182) recommendation for a really good product which deserves extra attention to similar adicts.
Make up your own mind from the pics, I have nothing to loose or gain.

Must say, working out how to upload the pics is a real pain. Why can't it just be attachments like other sites ?

Hope it convinces a few to at least browse the website.

Regards
Simon

june107_zps2458767f.jpg
june106_zpsd1ea1cd9.jpg

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Looks great that. .. Id consider getting mine done but toying with the idea of a sabelt..

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Looks like its been put on over the top of the existing stuff.
As the thumb grips don't look right

This, looks decent quality with the stitching etc.

But prefer the the one Dolan has posted with the centre marker.

Think Snappy should become a Trader tbh, it would make it easier for people to get hold of him. He's work looks top notch and there is obviously demand for it on here. Would be a nice addition imo. So if you read this mate, get in contact with Luke (the Boosh) and get it sorted :)