ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

steering wheel vibration

Mk2 172. Had two new front tyres fitted 4 days ago. Exalto P2s (was conti sport) and now getting significant s wheel vibration around 75/80mph. Weird thing is its not all the time, and road surface seems to make a difference. I assume they just need re-balancing, and not a "feature" of these tyres ???

ps Where is the little spanner for removing the hub cover nut thing ?

Cheers

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

Yup

sounds like they have doen a crap job in balancing your wheels up! if they did it at all !!

Get it back to them or to a decent place which will balance up the wheels for you.

The tool should be in the bootwell with the toolkit, looks a bit like the tool for taking studs off football boots.

Sounds like they did a sh*t balance job if it wasnt doing it before you had the tyres changed. Id be inclined to check the wheelbolts too if you had it done at a Quickfit type place as theyre renound for either overtightening or not tightening wheels bolts enough.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 16 July 2005

The tool should be in the bootwell with the toolkit, looks a bit like the tool for taking studs off football boots.

Sounds like they did a sh*t balance job if it wasnt doing it before you had the tyres changed. Id be inclined to check the wheelbolts too if you had it done at a Quickfit type place as theyre renound for either overtightening or not tightening wheels bolts enough.

forgot about that !!!

yer deff check em as places are known for it.

Cheers for that. Forgive my ignorance, but how does overtightening make a difference. (also noticed that it now appears to be pulling slightly to the left - but may be just me being paranoid now !)

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

is the steerign wheel straight??

tracking may be out as well etc....

You hit a pot hole or anythign recently. Or all this happened simply after changing tyres?

Overtightening wont but not tightening enough will as the wheel may move about against the disk/hub. Was just saying that its not uncommon for these places to f**k up the simple task of putting the wheelbolts back in.

All since changing tyres. Was at Kwikfit. Actually watched him balance one of the wheels and looked OK according to the machine. Not sure about the other one.

While I was there they had to ring a customer back to explain that he had just driven off with a wheel brace (or something) still attached. TheKwikfit guy went to great pains to explain that two people always check the nuts etc as part of their quality control procedures, and that it had been left on waiting for someone to do the check.

I know for a fact they didnt do this on mine, cos when he sent someone out to check, the hub cover was already back on and he did nowt !!

Your life in their hands !

yeah the vibration deffo balancing - the pulling, ive had that in the past when havin new tyres - even though tracking ok. Just get KF to swap em - ie put the nsf over to the osf and vice versa that will sort it.

oh and when you go back get em to give it a wash for the trouble caused - lol

...and ask for a kit kat to go with the sh*t vending cuppa they give you when waiting.

not balanced properly.

m8 i really really feel for you ive had problems with my wheels for a year now due to sh*t service. i even had extreme noise coming from the passenger wheel and i got out and itfell of in my hands, the wheel !! i was very lucky the garage hadnt tightened the bolt enough.

if it continus check the alloy if they are aftermarket they may have been hard to get of the mounts or back on and they use a mallett to knock them off which causes wheel buckling and wobble. i have also had that done and inccorectly balanced a three places.. two local garages and dixon renault in york. but thast the price you pay.. i wouldnt imagine a porche technician to scrimp on tightening the bolts.