ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steve Jobs - Adobe Flash

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Edited for accuracy.

d4580a41.jpg

They spent all that money buying Macromedia purely for Flash. They aren't about to let it die.

But things move on and things progress. Flash is buggy on a normal computer and fully flash sites suck balls. It's 10x worse on a phone. It even crashed twice last week when they tried to demo it.

It does mean you can't watch some things, but those things are becoming less and less as people realise that HTML5 is the way forward.

Apple are more powerful than Adobe, so they just need to give up TBH.

S3, Polo
It does mean you can't watch some things, but those things are becoming less and less as people realise that HTML5 is the way forward.

I'm not going to re-tread this - For web applications, I agree to some extent, but HTML5 is still in it's infancy and has far to narrow a remit to replace Flash. Also, to the best of my knowledge, browser developers haven't yet decided on a unified video codec (On2 or H.264) which makes it inferior by some margin (YouTube & Vimeo et al, still use Flash Player, so will have a huge impact on the Flash Player user-base if/ when they switch).

Apple are more powerful than Adobe, so they just need to give up TBH.

I *totally* agree.

But the user base for Apple products vs. PC products is still relatively small, so they'll be alright... :)

Depends who joins in with Apple really. IIRC Microsoft and Google already have. The desktop market share is just over 10% I think, but the mobile market is massively Apples.

Flash for web is dying. For animations/games then it's probably going to be around for a fair while.

Fiat Panda 100hp
I'm not going to re-tread this - For web applications, I agree to some extent, but HTML5 is still in it's infancy and has far to narrow a remit to replace Flash. Also, to the best of my knowledge, browser developers haven't yet decided on a unified video codec (On2 or H.264) which makes it inferior by some margin (YouTube & Vimeo et al, still use Flash Player, so will have a huge impact on the Flash Player user-base if/ when they switch).

I *totally* agree.

But the user base for Apple products vs. PC products is still relatively small, so they'll be alright... :)

Vimeo is now HTML5 and listed on Apple's iPad ready site, and youtube is beta testing in HTML5.

The list form apple is really good and shows that the big players are willing to leave flash, and it works just fine.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/ready-for-ipad/