ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sticking revs + slow to come down???????????

just been out in my 53 plate 172 and when i let my foot off the throttle and press my clutch the revs are sticking high,then the revs seam to take a age to drop?sometimes the revs drop slowly and stay around 2000rpm for a few seconds then drop to normal tickover,its as if the cable is sticking but i'am sure there are on fly by wire not cable?anyone got and ideas????

Do a search on TPS. You'd have a job to have a sticking cable...

Had a look tonight no cable, cleaned out the throttle body was a bit oily gave it a good d
Spray with some carb cleaner then some wd40 Feels ok now will take it for a run tomo

williams and trophy
just been out in my 53 plate 172 and when i let my foot off the throttle and press my clutch the revs are sticking high,then the revs seam to take a age to drop?sometimes the revs drop slowly and stay around 2000rpm for a few seconds then drop to normal tickover,its as if the cable is sticking but i'am sure there are on fly by wire not cable?anyone got and ideas????

does it have a gdi sticker on it??

just been out in the car still the same, doesn't do it all the time but about 80% when you change gear the revs just sit there.

Sounds like an air leak, mine was doing something similar. Check everything is plugged in as it should be.

172DD Cup
a trick i read somewhere- spray something (i think wd40) around the inlet pipes etc with the engine running. if the revs drop, you know you've hit a leak.

a trick i read somewhere- spray something (i think wd40) around the inlet pipes etc with the engine running. if the revs drop, you know you've hit a leak.
i will give that a try tomo.if i took the car to a main dealer could they put it on there computer and find the fault?

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Dirty throttle body, most likely. Take it off and give it a proper clean up with some 1200 wet and dry paper, carb cleaner, engine cleaner on the spring and make sure it all feels smooth (needs a new gasket on refitting - £4 or so).

Dirty throttle body, most likely. Take it off and give it a proper clean up with some 1200 wet and dry paper, carb cleaner, engine cleaner on the spring and make sure it all feels smooth (needs a new gasket on refitting - £4 or so).
i will give that a try later,i gave it a good clean last night with out taking it off ,then goy my girlfriend to work the throttle didnt stick at all and worked nice and smooth.i doesn't seam to do it when your just sat on the drive revving the car but only when your out on the road.

Clio 172 ph2
Mine did this today too, even though it was cleaned by the garage on friday. I switched it off then on and it didn't do it again the rest of the journey. Wierd!

clio sport 172 2001
im having the same prob, after it went to the garage. It went to the garage with the problem of low revs when cold and havting to let it warm up until i ran it otherwise it would cut out but now i have this throtle sticking at 2000 revs problem, please let me know it you find out the problem, cheers.

Clio 172 ph2
Finally got to the bottom of my rev problem. I had sticking revs, then random idle and sometimes random revving up to about 5k on its own. Then of course the heartbeat light would come on and put me into limp mode.

Well, i'd be regularly been cleaning the throttle body but it started happening after i'd taken it off and given it a thorough clean so i dismissed that.

Anyway i read on here about engine fuse box so decided to have a look at mine. It was terrible. Lots of corrosion to connections for fuses and relays. I took every one out and cleaned/filed the legs, sprayed with wd40 and replaced. Now its perfect and has been for at least 2000miles so far! Warning though, make sure you have your radio code to hand!!

At last i found it!

BG 182, T2 VW Camper
I've just encountered the same problem. In my situation I disconnected the battery, had a brew and reconnected. All good again. Happy days. Just done a long run without any repeat offences.