ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

still not happy with my Audio set up

None
I have an ipod sony head unit and fingertip controls thanks to matt at mtaudio:) and brand new speakers front and back in my 182 but the sound is pap!, i almost had the same set up in my old tdi discovery and it sounded ok in there, now anytime i play music at a decent level (especially bassy songs) it sounds horrible, i have turned the low frequencies off and it still sound crappy, someone suggested stiffening the rear mounts but is this really a miracle cure?

fronts speakers are jbl 120 watt
rears are sony 150 watt

cheers guys :)

a lot of landrovers had harmon kardon systems,if that was in yours then the sound quality difference will be massive

what model speakers have you got and are they phased correctly?

removing all "rattles" and sound proofing the panels will help immensely

None
a lot of landrovers had harmon kardon systems,if that was in yours then the sound quality difference will be massive

what model speakers have you got and are they phased correctly?

removing all "rattles" and sound proofing the panels will help immensely

Sorry Matt you lost me with the phased bit, how would i check that please?

I'm not sure if my system was a harmon kardon , i think those came in with the td5 models but i know it had bass speakers in the rear door but i would have thought that if i reduced my low frequency level in the clio then it would disable bass to a degree anyway?

if you switch the + and - of one speaker if the bass increases but is even between the 2 then you know your speakers were out of phase.
if they sound worse then you were correct and it isnt a phasing issue

None
Just an update from yesterday, took out the rear jbl speaker and isolated that speaker so sound was going to only that one, i took the speaker from the door and tried increasing the volume.......sounds terrible still, even tried changing the + and - to check phasing but no real change in sound, so it's actually the speaker itself(or the supply to it) causing the bad sound and not the seating position in the car, next i isolated the front left sony speaker and that was the same too, i almost gave up but just wanted to try one more thing, i remembered i have some old kenwood 6x9's so i hooked that up and the sound was even bad through there too!!!!!!!!, everything just sounds distorted and cheap!!!!

Any other idea's what i might try guys?.......cheers

None
I do have two other sony head units somewhere, might be worth a try i suppose :), i could even try my brothers Amp as a last resort........funny thing is i gave him my 600 watt subwoofer system as i didn't want all that extra weight in my 182!

Clio 182 with cup kits
With any sound system at home or in the car each and every component (source, amplification and speaker) all play an important part of a circuit. If there is any one let down the whole system can sound bad.
You should start at the begining,
1. The source- i pods are great for what they are (compact convenient portable source) but you have to remember you are listening to a compressed sound to begin with. A cd would be a better quality source.
2. The amplification- make sure it's not a cheap Halfords job. Spend a resonable amount of money on a reputable make. Best to have a 200 watt amp running a 50 watt rated pair of speakers than a 50 watt amp runnig a 200 watt pair of speakers. (trust me in this I am a qualified electronics audio service technician. I can explain in more detail if your interested. If you do have a seperate amp then make sure its correctly set up. If it's just the amp in the head unit, try switching off all the loudness and tone controls and start with everything flat response. If it sound crap to begin with then simply adding bass probably won't help.
3. Speaker- Same as above really. Split component systems with x-overs will give a better sound.
4. Cabling- Again don't get cheap cabling this includes speaker and line level cables (phono) from head unit to amp and amp to speakers. There is no point in having a big strong arm with poor blood flow, it just won't work well.
5. No car is renound for good accoustics, they are to get from A to B in and are not concert halls. Best you can do is deaden panels and rattles. Also think about speaker positioning. Hf units (tweeters) should be in as near dirrect line with your ears as possible. LF (low frequency units or subs) can be any where in the car usually the boot, as these are monoral. If you have speakers mounted in a rear shelf make sure the sound pressure levels from the sub don't affect these. Possible solution is to seperate these by making cabinets of correct spec for the shelf speakers , although the boot is usually adequateas a cabinet if no sub is present.
It's better to have fewer good quality speakers in a system that lots that include perhaps the original manufacturing sh*t spec ones. Just remove them!
Finally a 1 farad cap suppling the amp will aid to give a crisper punchier sound by improving the current draw to it.
Anyway, hope some of this helps.

None
Maybe stupid but have you try to change the equaliser on the HU to compensation.

Tried changing just about every setting on the head unit, it sounds like there is too much power getting to the speakers only i don't know why as it's a very basic set up with no subs or amps involved.....the radio in my bathroom sounds better quality at the moment :(

None
With any sound system at home or in the car each and every component (source, amplification and speaker) all play an important part of a circuit. If there is any one let down the whole system can sound bad.
You should start at the begining,
1. The source- i pods are great for what they are (compact convenient portable source) but you have to remember you are listening to a compressed sound to begin with. A cd would be a better quality source.
2. The amplification- make sure it's not a cheap Halfords job. Spend a resonable amount of money on a reputable make. Best to have a 200 watt amp running a 50 watt rated pair of speakers than a 50 watt amp runnig a 200 watt pair of speakers. (trust me in this I am a qualified electronics audio service technician. I can explain in more detail if your interested. If you do have a seperate amp then make sure its correctly set up. If it's just the amp in the head unit, try switching off all the loudness and tone controls and start with everything flat response. If it sound crap to begin with then simply adding bass probably won't help.
3. Speaker- Same as above really. Split component systems with x-overs will give a better sound.
4. Cabling- Again don't get cheap cabling this includes speaker and line level cables (phono) from head unit to amp and amp to speakers. There is no point in having a big strong arm with poor blood flow, it just won't work well.
5. No car is renound for good accoustics, they are to get from A to B in and are not concert halls. Best you can do is deaden panels and rattles. Also think about speaker positioning. Hf units (tweeters) should be in as near dirrect line with your ears as possible. LF (low frequency units or subs) can be any where in the car usually the boot, as these are monoral. If you have speakers mounted in a rear shelf make sure the sound pressure levels from the sub don't affect these. Possible solution is to seperate these by making cabinets of correct spec for the shelf speakers , although the boot is usually adequateas a cabinet if no sub is present.
It's better to have fewer good quality speakers in a system that lots that include perhaps the original manufacturing sh*t spec ones. Just remove them!
Finally a 1 farad cap suppling the amp will aid to give a crisper punchier sound by improving the current draw to it.
Anyway, hope some of this helps.

Cheers for that mate, i do use an ipod in my car so i will try popping in a cd to see if the same songs on the ipod are as bad on a cd to see if the ipod is the source of the distortion......

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
silly question but .. have you tried moving the fader to the front or rear respectively ? friend of mines car sounded AWFUL. i moved the balance around, and it was fine when coming from one side only. he'd screwed up the polarity of one of the back speakers. the fronts sounded ok on their own, and the left sounded ok .. but move to the middle and it all went wrong.

good point above - could be ipod... if the ipod is chucking out an EQ curve, and then the HU is boosting the signal with another one, it might be really beefing up the signal twice as much as it needs to be (IYSWIM).

Clio 182 with cup kits
It might simply be that the head units output stage is faulty but yes start with the ipod as said. You can't have too much power going to the speakers. Lots of power usually means a good clean sound unless your really over driving them. If the speakers rating is too high for the head unit then you could be over driving the head unit in order to drive them, which will cause distortion as it does something called 'clipping'. This usually affects the hf more though. Make sure all speakers are phased correctly. It's all a matter of simplifing the fault finding
1. source
2. head unit
3 front speakers
4 rear speakerss

vaux cavalier
Wow!!!! Some crap being spread about here lol....

A few pointers that aren't an attempt at diagnosing your 'possible' fault....

1, Later Sony units are simply awful with regards output quality....
2, Any positive EQ adjustment is likely to induce 'clip'....
3, Any speaker incorrectly mounted will suffer a drop in output quality....
4, Any speaker simply screwed into a stock, unmodified door will not perform at its best....
5, 90% of after market speakers are designed to be used in conjunction with a sub....They simply aren't designed to reproduce lower frequencies....
6, You should avoid comparing how different cars sound, each will have its own individual acoustic properties & as such should be treated differently....
7, Any source unit or amplification stage will only be as good as its power supply....

A few quotes to remember....
If it's just the amp in the head unit, try switching off all the loudness and tone controls and start with everything flat response. If it sound crap to begin with then simply adding bass probably won't help.

The only fair test of a Head Units quality....

Best to have a 200 watt amp running a 50 watt rated pair of speakers than a 50 watt amp runnig a 200 watt pair of speakers. (trust me in this I am a qualified electronics audio service technician. I can explain in more detail if your interested. If you do have a seperate amp then make sure its correctly set up.

To gain the best from your speakers the above is true....BUT, by using a less powerful amp the only loss would be output volume, (assuming both amps are correctly set up)....After all, playing at lower volume doesn't promote speaker damage....

LF (low frequency units or subs) can be any where in the car usually the boot, as these are monoral.

Subs can be mounted anywhere due to the frequencies they are reproducing....Sub frequencies are omnidirectional so stereo or mono has no bearing what so ever....

Sorry mate, it simply won't....A cap would still be seen as a load on your charge circuit in the same manner as a second battery would....The difference being a second battery actually has a reserve capacity, which the cap doesn't....A cap could be used in this manner if your goal is ultimately pure sound quality, but in this scenario the cap would simply stabilise the power supply voltage, (create a steady voltage with minimal voltage peaks & dips), to improve overall output quality....

A 1 Farad cap would be better used up front on the Head Units power supply....This would yield a much more stable pre-out voltage....

Car audio is swings & round a bouts mate....What affects the charge circuit will also affect the Head Unit....A dip in voltage due to a big bass hit, will induce the same dip in the Head Units power supply, which will also affect pre-out voltage, which in effect lowers the amplifiers output volume....

Due to power supply differences you simply can't compare home audio to car audio....There are few similarities....

If you should be close to Derby anytime soon then contact me & I will arrange to meet with you....My Becker is currently waiting for my new car & would take only seconds to fit into yours....This would give a clear indication as to where your problem lies....

None
Cheers for all the advice guys, i haven't yet had chance to swap out the head unit but i have found something that might lean towards it being the head unit, this morning when going to work in my brothers phase 1 clio i played the same songs that i tried in mine to see if there was a difference, there was!!!a massive one, he has the same sony head unit as me, he has an ipod also and to make things even worse his still has the original speakers yet with his(after turning the sub and amp off) it sounds really good at most volumes, the sound wasn't distorted at all and the only thing that happened at high volume was slight vibration..........it proves there is something really wrong with mine but until i can swap out the head unit i won't know for sure and i can't do it till tomorrow now, if it is that then it's going straight back to argos :( (it was on offer at the time hence buying from argos), i'll let you know tomorrow and if it doesn't work then i'm back to square one again!

None
Ok guys think i might have found the source of the distortion, i changed the head unit and the same problem was there so then i burned a cd with the same tracks as my ipod and switched between the ipod and cd so the same song was playing and that's where the problem became obvious, the sound coming through the ipod was poor quality as the cd was much more crisp sounding, thanks to everyone for the input :)