ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stone Chip - are chipsaway trying to screw me?!

E91 M Sport
I got this stone chip the other day, and had a quote from the local ChipsAway rep - possibly £140 to repair this. Does this sound about right? I have some money on credit with ChipsAway at the moment which is why I will be using them, but I still refuse to be charged over the odds - after all, I could go use another ChipsAway franchise....

_99_7.jpg

_99_3.jpg

Just for the sense of scale, here's a frontal pic (the chip is on the nearside headlight washer)....

_99_5.jpg

I also asked them about the possibility of fixing some of the other more minor stonechips on the bonnet, etc. The bloke told me it wouldn't be worth it, a full-respray would look better. So I said "you can't fix small stonechips?" "well yeah, but they won't look that good". :quiet: :rolleyes:

I've used them before and I was seriously unimpressed with the results.

I must say however that it was my local Chipsaway chap in N/W London and that just because he was bad is not to say all of them are.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
ive used them and my dad has they were shite imo and overpriced

Surely you could fix that yourself for £20-£30?

I think there's a guide on here, or a link to a guide somewhere.

172, Tiguan
I take his point about respraying the whole bonnet, it would look better than lots of repairs.

I'd say £60 - 80 for a decent repair on that chip though

Ad

MK2 FRS
is it going into one of the centres, if so then the money is probably worth it, as its not just a cosmetic repair and completed in a dust free environment. In my expierence, stone chips unless theres one or two ar better with a full respray, as it cosmetic repairs always show in certain lights.

If its the one where he gets his spray gun out outside then id expect it to be under the 100 mark.

D

dick

love 350z's wiv nismo kit, soooo much more betterer.

hoping to get one after i get a proppa degree job.

E91 M Sport
Right, so general consensus is overpriced with debatable results. I was told the problem with a respray will be that they have to match the bonnet and wings = £££. Or is it just because he's going to paint it a different colour!? :eek:

BMW 330D
As said above leave it until you get a few more then get the areas resprayed etc. Although personally i think that could be sorted for about £80 at a decent place.

I love your car btw :D

when you get it it fixed, invest in some armourfend for the front bumper, its brilliant stuff and invisible!

182 has now gone!
seems very steep.. The local chips away near me refurbed my alloy for £50, which I didnt think was bad and they did a good job.. It depends on who does it....