ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stonechip/Rust

Basically, I have noticed a small circle of discolourment at the bottom of my offside front door (towards the centre of the side of the car) with a tiny brown speck in the middle. I thought this looked like the beginnings of rust - and my car is only just over a year old!

The problem was that this door was replaced and painted by a company other than Renault, after an accident last July. So today I took the car along there for them to inspect this, as from my point of view it looked like the paint lacquer was crap or something.

After being told it was a stonechip I disagreed - Ive never seen one like that before. So out comes the manager of the place and shows me that it really is a stonechip. Going to cost me 55 quid to get sorted. Might get some other small scratches sorted out in the process, if it doesnt cost too much. Does this seem like an ok price? Might go and get a second opinion from another bodyshop tomorrow.

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

NO! Rip off!

What do they do then? Touch up or respray panel or area? I know they have to file rust out and de-oxidise area, then prime it if its gone rusty.

Touch ups look crap IMO but do they look perfect if Reno do them?

Ive got them on my bonnet, wouldnt touch up though cause they leave a marking, they havent gone rusty but whatll this cost me?

No they look dodgy whoever do it. Renault wouldnt respray a patch they would redo the whole panel. I scraped the bottom of the wing on my old Punto and had it fixed for 60quid, but after a while the dirt gets ingrained into the edges and the bit that has been fixed really stands out and no matter how much tcut you use you cant make it look good!!!

i want to get my rear wiper and washer taken out and smoothed im guessin jus gettin em to spray those two small holes aint a good idea then

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Im getting the edges of my bonnet and other edges which are slightly rusting seen to and touched up so it doesnt crumble away in a few years. You wont be able to tell from a distance on the edges of doors/panels/bonnets if its done well.

They are going to respray the area, obviously after getting the rust off - and lacquer it into the panel - hopefully it should look good! Booked in for end of April with some other stuff.