ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stop and battery light on

edwarj123

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Hi, just started my 182 and the stop and battery lights are on.
Looked under bonnet and I presume this red wire has broken off alternator?
Does it just go where the nut is?
Can I undo nut, strip wire back a bit and tighten it in there?
Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 267

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Hi, just started my 182 and the stop and battery lights are on.
Looked under bonnet and I presume this red wire has broken off alternator?
Does it just go where the nut is?
Can I undo nut, strip wire back a bit and tighten it in there?
Thanks
Yeah that'll be the cause of your problem mate. You need to replace the terminal on the end of the wire, but you could bare the wire back and tighten it under the nut as a temporary fix.

You might find that the nut doesn't come undone though on the alternator and breaks the alternator though unfortunately.

edwarj123

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Thanks for the reply, you mean if I try to hard I'll break it off or I can damage the alternator by trying?

Do I need to disconnect the battery before I do it?
If j just leave it off how long have j got do you think before I get the replacement terminal?
Thanks

dan's cast offs.
disconnect the battery, pull the black cover off the back of the alternator and then you can get two spanners on it to crack the nut off. you'll need a terminal crimping on though, don't just wrap it round.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Thanks for the reply, you mean if I try to hard I'll break it off or I can damage the alternator by trying?

Do I need to disconnect the battery before I do it?
If j just leave it off how long have j got do you think before I get the replacement terminal?
Thanks
They normally seize on the stud, so when you try and undo the nut it spins in the alternator and breaks it inside. You may be lucky though! Give it a good dose of wd40 and leave it 24hrs if you can.

Yeah disconnect the battery mate just to be on the safe side.

If you leave it disconnected it will flatten your battery as there's no charge getting into the battery. If you put the wire on without a terminal, providing you use a big washer to help secure it, it could last a week or more. It may only last a day. All luck of the draw I'm afraid.

edwarj123

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Thanks, how do i get the black side cover off the alternator? Just it literally pull off or is it screwed/bolted on? Also I'm struggling to get any room to undo the bolt, its a bit tight down there...
Thanks

edwarj123

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Bodged it on Sunday with a couple of crocodile clips and insulation tape for the last 2 days, even lasted over the speed bumps at work LOL

So today got a new crimp ring connector, stripped back the cable and crimped it in, luckily the nut came off ok, probably because I soaked it in WD40 on Sunday so all sorted.
Thanks for all your help.
Justin