ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

STOP light and high coolant temperature

Chris.B

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GT TDi
Hi guys,

Driving to work yesterday and this happened. STOP light and STOP coolant temperature indicator with the needle at the top:

Photo 01-12-2014 08 53 50.jpg
Pulled over and checked my coolant. Stupidly, I hadn't checked it for a while before this and when I looked there was none in the bottle. Filled it up with some water I had in my car and drove to work. After work I then bought some more coolant and when I got home, filled it up again.

Today, drove to work fine but on the way home, the same thing happened. STOP light and STOP coolant temperature indicator with the needle at the top. I was approaching a steep hill previous to the lights coming on and had dropped into 4th gear not giving it a stupid amount of revs but a fair amount to get up the hill. As I did this, I could see the needle rising and then the lights came on.

The coolant I had put in looks to have gone.

Do I have a leak somewhere or is this a serious problem? Someone mentioned head gasket?

Any help much appreciated!

clio 1.2
U may have a leak as you have lost your original coolant! But when you have filled the coolant bottle up you may not have put enough in. You would need to get the car up to temp, allowing the thermostat to open then allow to cool down and top up again

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
You need to start looking at your car for signs of a leak mate... Only you can answer this one.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Stop before it maxes out next time.

But yeah, it sounds like a leak. Could be a hose split, hole in the radiator (rare as the ac condensor is in front of it), leak from the water pump, leaking heater matrix etc

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Yep, as per Dan above OR the A/C condenser rubs thru it if incorrectly fitted/mounts destroyed. Then there's the water pump, Thermostat housing, pipework, etc... Head gaskets are RARE!!!