ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Store is down - New iMacs

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy
Sorry for my ignorance but how does it work with the student discount, if I wanted to march into Apple on Saturday with a student under one arm, will I simply walk out with a discounted Mac under ther other arm?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry for my ignorance but how does it work with the student discount, if I wanted to march into Apple on Saturday with a student under one arm, will I simply walk out with a discounted Mac under ther other arm?

Yep

Each student can buy 2 a year, so gave one to my uncle last year and one for me.

Walked in, he told the salesman what he wanted, he paid on his card, he carried it out. Only part I played was providing student ID.

DB.

BMW 440i
I think it was around 12% ish, so when paying over £1000, you are saving a substantial amount!

Im sure many students would do it for a £10 if you asked nicely! lol Go onto thestudentroom forum and ask if you do not know any lol

DB.

BMW 440i
I think it was around 12% ish, so when paying over £1000, you are saving a substantial amount!

Im sure many students would do it for a £10 if you asked nicely! lol Go onto thestudentroom forum and ask if you do not know any lol

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
Pretty sure you get up to VAT equivalent in discount if you order online through the education store from a uni campus.

Monaro VXR
Don't really need to do it from a campus. The links are available online to go direct to each universities specific online store.

Pretty sure you get up to VAT equivalent in discount if you order online through the education store from a uni campus.

You get more off with vat atm with it being 20%. Could always try claim vat off a sutdent discount reciept hmm.....super cheap mac :D.

Don't really need to do it from a campus. The links are available online to go direct to each universities specific online store.

http://www.mikewilson.cc/2010/08/18...ur-own-home-youve-got-to-be-a-student-though/

IIRC, choweekid off here managed to order through one of the HE stores and he isn't a student.

Am I right in thinking that if a student buys it on your behalf, all the warranty etc is in their name? As you haven't really bought it?

LY 182
Am I right in thinking that if a student buys it on your behalf, all the warranty etc is in their name? As you haven't really bought it?

Yeah kinda. I got my MBP with my mate Charlotte but I've been in to the store a couple times and it's never been an issue. I don't think people in the store would actually care that much.

You can always say you're sharing it or you got it for them initially but they didn't like it so you purchased it from them later.

Yep

Each student can buy 2 a year, so gave one to my uncle last year and one for me.

Walked in, he told the salesman what he wanted, he paid on his card, he carried it out. Only part I played was providing student ID.

I'd guess that since its on your card then it'd your own responsibility :).

Although in all the warranty issues I've had, I've only ever given a serial number!

Monaro VXR
Apple specifically allow student discount for students families as well.

Usually wrote somewhere that it is allowed. Remember all Higher Education systems get apple care thrown in free of charge you pay the £40 extra purely for phone support.

DB.

BMW 440i
Just googled the link for me as a Nottingham Trent student, as you have to be on campus to use it. http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_5000748 for my link, this gives the basic 27 for £1231, plus £48 for the apple care plan!

Going to be looking forward to my return from Thailand!

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
thought this may be useful, price comparison between non student and student prices

5686376247_b5e04318e3_z.jpg

5686373323_fb8c30b7da_z.jpg

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
That £48 only provides additional 2 years phone support.

3 years AppleCare is included FOC.

Yep, but to be clear it's only included FOC if purchasing online, should you purchase in person at an apple store then you'll need to add the 48 quid applecare.

DB.

BMW 440i
Well I would definitely buy it online then! Didn't realise that though, cheers for pointing it out! :)

Few questions, firstly will there be any 2010 iMacs knocking around as bargains in Apple Stores now?

Secondly, can you still finance a student discounted iMac? As I don't want to spend all that in one go, rather buy a shiny new lens or some camera rigs/supports as well.

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy
I can't wait!

A public thank you to Dan/Revels for putting up with my many questions (there'll be more soon too)

DB.

BMW 440i
14.9% APR - 24 Monthly Payments.

So an iMac nano at the normal cost of £1000 would cost around £150 extra. Obviously it changes with the student discount!

http://www.mikewilson.cc/2010/08/18...ur-own-home-youve-got-to-be-a-student-though/

IIRC, choweekid off here managed to order through one of the HE stores and he isn't a student.

Just googled the link for me as a Nottingham Trent student, as you have to be on campus to use it. http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_5000748 for my link, this gives the basic 27 for £1231, plus £48 for the apple care plan!

Hmm, so in theory, could anyone just buy online with the student discount like that? despite not being a student, on a university campus, and being on slightly dodgy ground.

Or is there some other way of proving that you're actually a student when you buy?

Seems too good to be true.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
They take your student number from a student card. I had some real trouble getting full student discount with my macbook pro as I'm doing a FND Degree at a college and they said I couldn't have full discount as I wasn't at University, yet the course I'm doing is run by Sheffield Hallam.

DB.

BMW 440i
Depends if you are instore, or online.

They gave me full discount before I was at University instore. Suppose it is who you deal with!

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I ordered my MBP through one of the HE stores, and I'm long past being a student :)

A chap on another forum kindly sent me the link to the ATL HE store, I just ordered using the link as normal with my own details and was all fine for an easy 15% off ;)

Supposedly you do get 3 years warranty this way but I still stumped up the £40 for Applecare as I'd heard people having hassle getting the 3 years applied to their machine without it. For £40 instead of the £200 it normally is I wasn't complaining.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Any member of staff with uni login can also get full discount;)

Mbp or imac????