ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Straightening rear beam / Alignment query

Clio 2 RS172 Cup
Does anyone have any experience with loosening and straightening the rear beam? Is there even any movement available to do this? Car has been partially set up with camber bolts on the front. Depending on what I can do with the rear will dictate the overall setup. I should mention it has Bilstein B14s and has been corner weighted. Also, what do you think to the caster difference up front? It has brand new wishbones.

I've got a bunch of shims to go on but I'm wondering if the beam is actually bent. So should I shim it or do I have a bigger problem on my hands. Any opinions are appreciated

Cheers!

Attachments

• 20190504_180931.jpg
    20190504_180931.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
  Clio 2 RS172 Cup
This was after an alignment. Do note that the readout is in degrees minutes so 1.58' is 1.966 degrees.

Have a look at the rear wheels is it clear that whats on paper is actually right? Could be its not been setup on the machine right. And that front camber is a poor job, should be a lot closer

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Have a look at the rear wheels is it clear that whats on paper is actually right? Could be its not been setup on the machine right. And that front camber is a poor job, should be a lot closer

It's only 6 minutes out on the front camber tbf.

Clio 2 RS172 Cup
Yeah it definitely feels out as the rear steps out to the left under hard braking, so its right. When the final alignment is done I'd be more picky about getting it spot on, but the rear needs addressing first.

monaco 172
Does the rear beam look physically bent? I corrected mine with shims from pms as the bolts to drop the beam are basically impossible to get off without spinning.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Check your stub axles too. These tend to bend first! I've coincidentally got one here for sale ?

Clio 2 RS172 Cup
From what I can tell the beam looks fine. Going by the readings it just seems like the whole beam is angled to the left. If it had a previous knock it seems strange that both stub axles would be bent the same way, too.

Clio 2 RS172 Cup
Mileage is about 100k. The bushes look standard so I'm guessing they haven't been changed. I'll get them changed I think just to rule that out

Clio 2 RS172 Cup
Update! Had the beam bushes replaced with powerflex black and shims fitted. Didn't manage to see the old bushes but apparently they were knackered. The toe improved a little after changing the bushes but did nothing for camber. Car now brakes in a straight line and handles as it should! :)

Attachments

• 20190509_210241.jpg
    20190509_210241.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 115
Result! The camber is still very close anyway, good all round alignment. If you could get some adustable top mounts you could get that caster the same and more.

monaco 172
Update! Had the beam bushes replaced with powerflex black and shims fitted. Didn't manage to see the old bushes but apparently they were knackered. The toe improved a little after changing the bushes but did nothing for camber. Car now brakes in a straight line and handles as it should! :)
What shims did you fit?