ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange Clonk Noise from front suspension....

Many.
This happend after changing the subframe (bent) and wishbones (182 extra caster) to my DCi.

Car has full 172 front setup, and had zero problems until I bent the subframe. Also has Koni springs and PMS Solid top mounts, Standard geo settings.

The noise has been there the whole time since fitting the subframe and wishbones. I can reproduce it everytime I start winding out the steering on a left hand bend, right hand bend I don't get it. But it can also happen sometimes in a roughly straight line, However I wonder if its as I'm turning the steering without realising.

You can also feel it through the pedals/floor rather than the steering. I've had it up in the air, I assumed at first, it was the front spring popping out of its seat, and then reseating, but ruled that out, and went round every bolt to check for tightness, Nothing was loose, and nothing still is.

I even removed the front gearbox mount (as found on sports) that I fitted when at the same time, but this hasn't resolved it.

So I'm out of ideas. My car is quite low, but I don't think its anything making contact where I have increased caster. I should also add, I've checked the top mounts too etc, as that was my first thought. Edit: Track rods (inners and outers) were changed a few thousand miles ago, balljoints are good too.

Help me Cliosport!

Many.
Further thinking about it.

I can also get it to do it, entering my drive, its a ramp up to it. Its as if when the weight is removed/increased to the front passenger corner.

I did check the driveshaft too, its not hitting anything or that.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Just thought I'd let you know Alex. The 182 didn't have any clonking noises when it was broken.

Not the pinch bolt on the steering rack is it? Mine was just a touch loose once and I could feel it in the floor and pedals at very low speeds.

Many.
Just thought I'd let you know Alex. The 182 didn't have any clonking noises when it was broken.

Not the pinch bolt on the steering rack is it? Mine was just a touch loose once and I could feel it in the floor and pedals at very low speeds.

Minor thread bump. I hadn't thought of the pinch bolt, Have checked it now, and thats not the cause :(

So, anybody else got any ideas?

I'm running out of ideas.

182 sport & cooper S
My 182 did the same thing, this stopped when I had the gearbox changed, Im not saying its a gearbox fault but must be something they undid and did back up again so I would suggest spanner checking all the bolts that you touched to fit the new subframe !

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
mine does it, havent worried at all. yes i know mines still a dci frame and dci wish bones.

checked the rack, nothing wrong there, checked all the mounting points from frame to body and nothing.
top mount bits... nothing.

mine only started doing it after ragging it around on full lock on rough ground to find which driveshaft i broke

drop the frame down and makesure you havent moved a captive nut for the long bolts on the frame, one of mine on the front right has come ' lose ' its tight but the nut spins without holding it with a spanner. has abit of play in it if i remove all the other bolts and pull the frame back and forwards.

Many.
My 182 did the same thing, this stopped when I had the gearbox changed, Im not saying its a gearbox fault but must be something they undid and did back up again so I would suggest spanner checking all the bolts that you touched to fit the new subframe !

Yeah, I checked most of it, will check it again at some point though.

mine does it, havent worried at all. yes i know mines still a dci frame and dci wish bones.

checked the rack, nothing wrong there, checked all the mounting points from frame to body and nothing.
top mount bits... nothing.

mine only started doing it after ragging it around on full lock on rough ground to find which driveshaft i broke

drop the frame down and makesure you havent moved a captive nut for the long bolts on the frame, one of mine on the front right has come ' lose ' its tight but the nut spins without holding it with a spanner. has abit of play in it if i remove all the other bolts and pull the frame back and forwards.

I've been through all the same too. I can rule top mounts out, Solid PMS.

Those bolts are tight, I don't have any of the cage bits anymore so was sure to get them bloody tight!

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
what did you do for it to start? hit something? i now thinking youve got flex in a mount somwhere, aintroll bar links all tight ?

Many.
Changed the subframe and wishbones.

Being sport stuff it hasn't got the s**t links like Non-sports do. I too, thought ARB, but its all polybushed and everything is spot on. ARB is central on the subframe too.

Wishbones aren't that old, all balljoints are new, as are track rods. Solid top mounts, standard strut to hub bolts (not camber bolts).

Running out of ideas.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
take it to an MOT station and get them to put it on the shake tester. then you can get under and see whats not ment to be moving.