ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange electrical problem?

Albi 197
Hi there, My clio has developed a problem....

Indicators come on when they want,
rear wiper comes on when it wants,
central locking doesn't work,
and interior light flashes all the time...

Engine and all other electrical's are ok... as far as i know.

Any ideas? :)

Its a 1998 mk2ph1 1.2 8v by the way.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Check the fuse/relay box down by the battery. It can get moisture inside it and then the terminals corrode.

I had a Mk2 Ph1 1.2 RN which had similar electrical maladies caused by this.

Albi 197
Had a look at relay/fuse box, in the engine bay and inside the car, all seem ok...

Strangely central locking started working today, but has since stopped again...

Any more ideas? :)

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
I'd start by taking out the fuses and relays one by one, cleaning them up (please disconnect the battery before you start) and making sure the terminals they plug into aren't corroded or dirty.
If you are still having issues then get it looked at by an auto-electrician. Cheaper than taking it to Renault.

Clio
Similar occurance with my interior light a few years ago. Went for weeks with it setting the alarm off. Fault cleared itself after I’d pulled most of my car apart and all of my hair out, but due to the fact that the only thing that links all your problems is the multi-timer unit below the fuse box in the passenger foot well I’d look at it. Someone could have kicked something loose. Other than that, try disconnecting the battery and leaving it half an hour, see if that resets it.

Read my other post titled below to see what all I ended up doing to try and fix it.
“Interior light illuminating randomly. NE1 else?”

Clio
1998 1.2's dont have them otherwise i'd of thought the same. As far as i know Renault call the circuit board in the passenger footwell a multi timer unit on those models.

Albi 197
Car's in garage for a couple of days now anyway, Getting new clutch fitted. So i'll try the above when I get it back!