ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange issue.. causing limp mode.. pedals?

ford galaxy
Hello everyone, first post from a new member...

I have a 2005 Clio 182 Cup and have an issue with it being in limp mode... The eml light is on and so is the squiqqly one, and with revs limited to 3000 rpm. I checked the fault code and it came up as pedal perometer (or something like that)... asked around as to what could cause the problem and was advised maybe its the throttle body or the pedal itself. Changed both and still no luck.

Now ive just noticed a new symptom which was not on my previous 172, when i press the brake pedal the accelerator pedal doesnt work at all! it becomes totally inactive.. and when brake pedal released it works as normal just not allowing the engine to rev...

Anyone have any ideas?

Much appreciated.

53 Clio 172
When I first bought my 172 (ph2) I had pretty much the same problem regarding the 'limp mode'! Without going into it someone from Wests Renault(Cambridge) gave me a PM and said he may be able to help. Turns out it was a wiring loom from the throttle but it might be a good shout to contact him but unsure where you are based.

Hope you get it sorted, limp mode is pants!

Subaru w r x now
have you done the brake padal swich it did it to me on my 172 cup i did all that you have done so i got one off renault for £5.99p and it worked if you need any more help let me no and i will send you my number ok

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Did it on my 1.4 too, bit of a phantom issue - I fixed it by removing the 3 screws on the pedal, cleaning all of the connectors and ensuring it is plugged in properly. Has not came back since happily :)

Exactly as you say, the lights come on, the revs are limited to 3k and the performance is dire. Used to happen over speed bumps funnily enough lol

182 FF, A6 Avant
I have this same issue (not the brake pedal thing though!) My car is in at Renault right now having the fault codes read.

jonny_rs, how did you repair/replace the loom from the pedal? What was the problem with it?

53 Clio 172
I have this same issue (not the brake pedal thing though!) My car is in at Renault right now having the fault codes read.

jonny_rs, how did you repair/replace the loom from the pedal? What was the problem with it?

Being honest I cannot remember the exact issue but along the lines of 'micro breaks in the wire'. Could always give 'Westrenault' off here a PM and ask him, his name is Tom as he is extremely helpful. Mention my name and he will know what the issue will be.
Forgot to mention that it is all sorted now and has been for a while thanks to Wests!

Jonny

My 172 did this after putting it through a high pressure car wash :S

Stopped looked under bonnet, started it again and it was fine LOL

Lionel Richie
If this is the car in my workshop right now, then its the loom that's knackered, CANBUS faults galore, someone has spilt coke all over the OBD port, wonderful!

B

bigrich690

I had the worst case of limp mode ever and in the end beleive it or not it was my engine mount that had worn that bad my engine must have been moving too much and causing the limp mode, i didnt even want to drive the car it was embarasing, changed the engine mount and the car drives better than the day i bought it 4yrs ago, even the stop and handbrake light doesnt come on anymore! (when driving)