ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange Question

Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
How come some clios have the key hole on the drivers door, and some have it on the passenger door?

Mine's on the passenger door but I've seen pics on here where it's on the other side.

Weird question but it's bugging me :eek:

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Iirc its something to do with the car being French i.e the steering wheel is on the left so the door would or could have been used on a French clio , hence having the key hole on the passenger door . My old 172 had em on both doors , my 182 has it on the passenger door .

Mid way thought 2003 or so I think the drivers lock was removed from the spec. Its beacase in France as mentioned they removed there passengers side lock and since the locks aren't interchangable and they'd have had to keep the drivers door with holes in production they did the same for us only for us it was our drivers side.

Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
Thanks for clearing that up Edde - I have no idea why it was bothering me so much but it was lol

bunzee said:
Thanks for clearing that up Edde - I have no idea why it was bothering me so much but it was lol
Your not the only peopson who's been confused even worse when two owners of cars on the same plate park up and one realises they have the lock and one doesn't.

Its just the assembly robots having a laugh. They have calmed down a bit form their days in the Citron Picasso adverts but still like to play the odd prank.

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
MRBILLYUK said:
Iirc its something to do with the car being French i.e the steering wheel is on the left so the door would or could have been used on a French clio , hence having the key hole on the passenger door . My old 172 had em on both doors , my 182 has it on the passenger door .

thats why the windscreen wipers are the other side too, because they couldnt be bothered changing the sides just like the locks.

RenaultSport clio 172 CUP
Mines got them both sides.

Im sure they de-locked them to save ££££

Im glad I have them though,what do you do if your fob fails and you have no locks.

Last edited:

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
CUPCRAZY said:
Mines got them both sides.

Im sure they de-locked them to save ££££

Im glad I have them though,what do you do if your fob fails and you have no locks.

They're not completely delocked . At least one door will have a lock .

clio 182 black /gold
My car is french and the key hole is on the roof LOL. Na it is on the passenger side.

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
Cup's have it on the passenger side (I read somewhere) for some reason! The rest have it on the drivers side.

Trophy No. 440
SoA2k6 said:
Cup's have it on the passenger side (I read somewhere) for some reason! The rest have it on the drivers side.

What do you mean by "the rest"?

Trophys have it on the passenger side

Last edited:
  artic blue 182
Ross M said:
thats why the windscreen wipers are the other side too, because they couldnt be bothered changing the sides just like the locks.

and why the passenger gets a better blast of aircon on the feet

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
SoA2k6 said:

negative. my 182 has it on the passenger side but not the drivers.

Ad

MK2 FRS
SoA2k6 said:

early cups have both, later cups follow the same route as other clios, passenger side only. The cup was in production at the time of change.

133/225/CLS AMG
My old 2003 (53) reg Clio 172 full fat had no lock on the drivers door but one on the passenger door.
I assumed that was probably due too that passenger door in France being the drivers door and you'd need to have at least one manual lock on the car.

I know have a 2006 (55) Megane 225 full fat and although thats doesn't have any visible locks at all, on the passenger door handle there is a hidden lock!!

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
daveio said:
and why the passenger gets a better blast of aircon on the feet

^^^^ Really ? I never knew , then again i've never been a passenger , lol .

SoA2k6 said:
Nope, I've got a FF 172 with it's only door lock on the passenger door.

the answer to your questions was posted above

Mid way thought 2003 or so I think the drivers lock was removed from the spec. Its beacase in France as mentioned they removed there passengers side lock and since the locks aren't interchangable and they'd have had to keep the drivers door with holes in production they did the same for us only for us it was our drivers side.