ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange whurring noise when driving!!!

RS Clio 172 mk2
Hey all, Can anybody help??? got a bit of a dilemma with my sport 172, has been fine since i bought it last saturday & was even fine earlier on when i drove it but went out in it about half an hour ago to get petrol & its making a really horrible vibration noise throughout the car, don't do it in reverse tho strangily enough, only going forward. the power still feels like its there but i'm not to sure what to do about it. Its sitting on the drive at the moment, don't really wanna drive it no more incase i cause anymore damage. Any ideas anyone???

Oyster Card
Reverse it down to Renault.
Sorry mate not helping I'm currently suffering the same problem as you so you got to just see the funny side of stuff like that, could be balancing, wheel bearing or track rod end?

Does it do it when the wheel is in all positions; straight, right or left?

RS Clio 172 mk2
it does it in all positions yeh. don't do it when u rev it, just when u drive it. dunno if the clutch has gone on it?!?!?

Oyster Card
I'm no mechanic but I doubt it'll be the clutch or anything as serious as that mate.
Does sound like a wheel bearing to me.
Could be wheels need balancing what speed does it do it at/

RS Clio 172 mk2
all thru the rev range mate. I'm sure there was a clunk earlier at about half 1 when i stopped to park in full lock. But it didn't do it on the way home. Changed my alarm system & accidently dropped a bolt into the engine so i thought it might of been that but found the bolt on the drive so its not that. definately something inside the gearbox i think

RS Clio 172 mk2
its like a vibration thru the car, it does it when i start the car too so maybe an engine mount. how would that of gone so soon on the car tho??? only 3 years old and its been driven by a lady policewoman before i bought it who done 7000 miles a year??? is that gonna cost me loads???

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
if it occurs when you pull away and vibrates the dash...also if you stab the throttle in a low gear you will hear i clunk/bang. caused by you exhaust manifold/downpipe hitting the subframe. it also causes vibration.

Dogbone/gearbox side - £55 for parts + fitting - This is the more common side to fail and the cheapest to repair.

Gel-shocker side (nearside) is more expensive for parts but an easier job to do.

where are you located mate?

RS Clio 172 mk2
yeh thats what its like, if u ease off the accelerator it don't do it but when u apply it again to clunks and the dash all vibrates. i'm in Sunny southend on sea mate

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
yeah, definately a mount.

speak to Mike@Rentech

he is down your way...ish.

top company. top quality work.

he will sort you out, send him a PM.

Mike@Rentech

if you bought it from a garage take it back, if you didnt, buy a warranty sharpish. These cars have a tendancy to start breaking as soon as the warranty is up

RS Clio 172 mk2
Hey all, still no joy wiv my sport. took it to renault 2day, said they found the problem, aparently its the heatsheild knocking against the subframe, they wanna charge me 80 quid to do it?!?! just been down to my local mr clutch & they can't find nothing wrong wiv it so now i'm really worried:eek: . was told that its not an engine mount cos they all look fine?!?! Anyone got any other ideas????