ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strut Top Washer Fitting...

Up rocks
Just about to fit my titanium strut top washers, am i going to have to get the tracking done after fitting?

Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150
Pretty straight forward. I have some 3 mm thick washers but decided to do the Renault fix when I fiited my new Koni suspension, as struts were out. I ovalised the top hole in the turret as it stops the knocking. I didn't like the idea of having play in the top mount after fitting washer as some have failed mot's for this.

Up rocks
Pretty straight forward. I have some 3 mm thick washers but decided to do the Renault fix when I fiited my new Koni suspension, as struts were out. I ovalised the top hole in the turret as it stops the knocking. I didn't like the idea of having play in the top mount after fitting washer as some have failed mot's for this.

Hmmm, cheers. Will have a look and see whats what in a minute.

Up rocks
Made them at work, i happened to find a bit of titanium about the right size to make the 2 washers from :)

Clio 200 Cup
Please Help!

Have just attempted to remove the front struts from my 172 Cup and have hit problems!

The top nuts seem to be absolutely solid. I have gotten to the point where I have begun to damage the 6mm allen socket in the top of the shock absorber - I am worried it is going to round off.

I want to re-use the shocks as I am only changing the springs.

Any ideas?

Id be very grateful for any advice.

Cheers.

Lionel Richie
^impact gun or air gun, is the car still on its wheels? much easier to get them off with the car on the ground

Clio 200 Cup
^impact gun or air gun, is the car still on its wheels? much easier to get them off with the car on the ground

I tried with the car jacked up and then on its wheels. I also tried swearing at it but that didnt work either.

I'll nip round to a garage and see if they can crack the nuts for me.

Cheers

I'm very suprised you cant turn them when the wheel is on the floor. I couldnt do it when the wheels were in the air but once I had it on the floor it came off no problem. Maybe your not swearing loud enough!

Clio 200 Cup
I'm very suprised you cant turn them when the wheel is on the floor. I couldnt do it when the wheels were in the air but once I had it on the floor it came off no problem. Maybe your not swearing loud enough!

Just bought a megaphone frome Ebay, should be able to loosen those nuts if I swear through it....

Up rocks
Is this right, as i cant see how the washers will do anything in that position, also i still have knocking...

Took the black rubber bit off...
1q0487.jpg

Then dropped the washer in...
f23iwx.jpg

Then replaced the black rubber bit. That right?

BMW M135i
Thats right, the knocking is usally the top part hitting the turret and you can see by the metal worn away on the opposite side, the washer is just to raise the top part so it clears the turret.

Up rocks
Thats right, the knocking is usally the top part hitting the turret and you can see by the metal worn away on the opposite side, the washer is just to raise the top part so it clears the turret.

Oh i see, wonder why mine is still knocking then?! Could be lower arm bushes or something else then i guess, will have to have a look.

Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150
When you take to top mounts off you should be able to clearly see if thats whats knocking. The turret should be burred and rusty where its been knocking. o/s will be around 1-2 o'clock and n/s around 10-11 o'clock. The Renault fix is to remove some metal with a dremmel or die grinder of sorts...round file if needs be....around 5mm in the area. This allows to top mount to be re-fitted in its original postion as Renault intended.
The washer fix does work, by raising the top mount away from the turret, by the thickness off the washer used....3mm being chosen by Yozzasport. As i'm not a Renault design expert, I cannot comment on the effect of raising the mount 3mm. But when I test fitted some, I noticed the top mount did not fasten down to the turret as it originally did. This lead me to believe there could be play when the strut becomes unloaded. Others have also failed mot's with these fitted.
If this knocking isn't your issue....you may have engine mounts gone.

Lionel Richie
When you take to top mounts off you should be able to clearly see if thats whats knocking. The turret should be burred and rusty where its been knocking. o/s will be around 1-2 o'clock and n/s around 10-11 o'clock. The Renault fix is to remove some metal with a dremmel or die grinder of sorts...round file if needs be....around 5mm in the area. This allows to top mount to be re-fitted in its original postion as Renault intended.
The washer fix does work, by raising the top mount away from the turret, by the thickness off the washer used....3mm being chosen by Yozzasport. As i'm not a Renault design expert, I cannot comment on the effect of raising the mount 3mm. But when I test fitted some, I noticed the top mount did not fasten down to the turret as it originally did. This lead me to believe there could be play when the strut becomes unloaded. Others have also failed mot's with these fitted.
If this knocking isn't your issue....you may have engine mounts gone.

Its now the new offical renault fix, renault copied me ;) the washers sold by yozza are exactly the same as found on the V6 clio (they leave the factory with them fitted)

a pair of machined stainless washers delivered for £10, i'd say that was fair, go buy them from renault if you don't like it, £60 the pair

i could've been a c**t and not told anyone on the forum about this, and kept it secret or just sold them through yozza exclusivley, but seeing as i'm a nice chap i told "the world" about it, some people have made their own fair enough, it would be nice to think i've done all the cliosport owners a favour, but it seems again people whinge over £10! :rolleyes: :nono:

Up rocks
I for one am grateful that the knowledge has been shared here, but personally as i'm an engineer i couldnt justify buying some as i can make them in 5 mins. Very glad the info is here though.

'03 172 Iceberg S

Others have also failed mot's with these fitted.

I fitted a set of washers a while back but have just failed my MOT because of a loose suspension top mount ("Offside front MacPherson strut has excessive movement at the upper attachment" 2.5.A.1c).

The MOT guy showed me with the car jacked up and there was a lot of movement on both sides where the suspension joins the strut at the top).

Naturally they've suggested I buy two lots of "suspension mount kit" from Renault at £55 a pop.

If I just remove the washers for my retest will this fix the problem???

Up rocks
I fitted mine and also didnt like the amount of play in the top half of the mount so took them back out. Should pass MOT fine with the washers removed mate.

Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150
As said above....remove washers for MOT. Pain in the ass every year so I did the original Renault fix and just took some metal off. Job done, no knocking and no play, half hour job....;)
Fred says its now an official Renault fix to use washers, not sure it bodes well that it can fail an MOT tho.

Up rocks
Yeah i think after seeing the amount of play i'll be removing metal or making my own top caps that fit better.