ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stuck on what to get!

I used to have a Nikon D40 - I loved it...why I sold it...I don't really know :eek:.

Been looking at a newer camera and the few that have jumped out are Canon 500d/550d and the Nikon D3100.

I had a shot of both of these the other night and to be honnest....they felt far too small and very un-natural to hold :(. I also had a shot of a Canon 30D a mate got from his old man and it was much much better to hold - felt perfect size wise.

Now I know the 30d is getting on a bit so what else is there out there that's not a small body dslr but not super expensive?

Nikon D90 seems a potential at the moment...but I really don't have a clue on what other cameras are roundabout the same or what the Canon equivelant is?

I do plan on taking a visit to a shop but would want to do a little background work so I have a rough idea of what I'm actually looking at :).

Any one got any other ideas? :approve:

Oil Burner
Typically the large cameras are the pro-sumer models. So the semi professional models as opposed to consumer models like D40 or xxxD.

The 30d,40d,50d are all basically the same chassis and body just with different components. Im not certain if the 60d (latest XXd canon model) is the same size as previous models as its now being aimed more at consumers than professionals.

Nikon - havent got a clue. The D300 is lovely to hold, again its a Pro-sumer model, similar to Canon's 7d.

A budget would help us make suggestions.

Also consider things like what friends have Canon/Nikon. Its always useful to have friends with the same system so you can borrow lenses or share yours.

Go in a shop, try them out. Narrow down which ones you like, go back home and read reviews etc......go back try them again.....buy.

If you can live without video and super high ISO I see no reason why you wouldn't love working with a 40D or 50D. I wouldn't go as old as a 30D personally, the 40D has a bigger screen and ISO 3200, which I'm still very happy with after a few years use. The 50D has a much nicer screen AKAIK and another stop of ISO then the 60D goes further with video etc but I've kind of lost track of the latest gear, as said, very happy 40D user.

I'd never go back to a XXXD!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Very personal choice .. budget and feel are down to you ! Get to Jessops and try out the current range ? Buy another D40 ?!

If you want to upgrade to something a bit nicer, my new-ish 7D feels much more grown up than my 450D, but at ~3x the price, it should do ! :eek:

Cheers for the advice guys.

Have checked out everything mentioned and I like the sound of the 60D - not as large as the 7D. (my mate ordered a 7D last week so will go have a shot of his when it arrives!)

I also like the sound of 8fps on the 7D nom nom.

Nikon wise...the D90 is about all that sticks out.

As for friends with Nikon/Canon - its 50/50 Quite a few are photograpy students and use Canon..and quite a few have Nikon!

Off to Jessops soon

Don't ask mates what to get, just like don't ask what to get on here....people will just recommend what they have. I would recommend Nikon, but thats only because I shoot Nikon, someone who shoots canon will say Canon.

Don't ask mates what to get, just like don't ask what to get on here....people will just recommend what they have. I would recommend Nikon, but thats only because I shoot Nikon, someone who shoots canon will say Canon.

I don't listen to them based on what to get mate, I said that in reply to a question about what mates have what with regards to borrowing lens'!