ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stud / Nut Vs Wheel Bolts

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Im sick of big silly rusted bolts so looking at TPI Polarised wheel bolts or a black stud / nut conversion.

Looking at the pros and cons of bolts and stud / nut kits for the 197.

Can anyone advise what they use and why ?

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Stud & nut purely for frequent wheel changes. Studs & nuts are easier to locate the wheel. That’s about it. They too will rust. If you want a rust free solution, fit good quality bolts.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
As above, changing wheels with studs is so much better

If youre a proper perv then you want some Mini wheel bolts, the ones on my mrs' car are 10 years old but barely have a spec of rust on them and theyre lovely and black!

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Love my polarised ones. Not expensive from ebay and you can just buy black ones. 17mm head too so the bolt hole does not get scratched either as they can do with the 19mm ones. Seem to have lasted well, much better than standard bolts anyway.

I have personally never bothered with wheel studs and read a few threads on here where wheels have fallen off with stud and nut kits! Seems more hassle and expense for not much gain imo!

20200912_140815.jpg

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
You certainly need to check stud kits more regularly but they should not come out under normal circumstances. Use a permanent loctite.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Stud & nut purely for frequent wheel changes. Studs & nuts are easier to locate the wheel. That’s about it. They too will rust. If you want a rust free solution, fit good quality bolts.

This and I give the studs a go over with ACF-50 once in a while and they look as good as new.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Yeah but as with anything, as you wash the car stuff washes off so do a maintenance wipe over with acf-50 at the end.
Moving to a wheel shampoo for less aggressive dirt may help too.

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250 Cup
I've had bolts come loose and actually fall out before. I'm yet to have the same thing happen with studs.
I think alot of the 'issues' with studs is generally down to the stupidity of the people fitting them.

A splined stud would be a nice thing to for someone to come up with!

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
So I have just went and bought the TPI Polarised bolts from sixonetwo

Had to e-mail them direct with the correct size of bolt as its not listed on there site.

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
TPIs will rust eventually, my set have. Couple of bolts ended up stuck in the 17mm socket when removing wheels the other day.

They will probably clean up and be fine, but I’m converting to studs for ease.

Do love the look of the polarised bolts though.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
TPIs will rust eventually, my set have. Couple of bolts ended up stuck in the 17mm socket when removing wheels the other day.

They will probably clean up and be fine, but I’m converting to studs for ease.

Do love the look of the polarised bolts though.

Have them on my Clio Trophy so know what to expect.