ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stuttering between 3k and 4k (197)

LY R27
Hi all, recently bought a 197 as a track car and am noticing that sometimes (not all of the time), I have a big stutter between 2.5-4k RPM. Pedal goes nowhere, just loads of pops and bangs. Then it will clear itself.

Alternatively, if I nail the throttle, it clears it, or if I drop a gear to take it out of this range, it will clear itself.

I’m sure this must have been a pretty common issue in the past, can anyone provide any insight?

Thanks

Ryan.

I know the hold back feeling mine does it usually after I have give it some stick, switched it off let it go cold then the next start up it will be horrific, kangarooing, spluttering misfiring, sounds like anti lag

The only way I get past it is just gently let the revs rise, 1/4 throttle max in second gear and you feel it lift and smooth out

dan's cast offs.
Flat spot.

Flat spot can be terrible on some of them. I chased one once that turned out to be just the flat spot/map but it was that bad you could get it popping and running rough but as soon as you lifted even the tiniest on the throttle it would clear itself.

Map cured it, will see if I can find the graph as it was that bad it's comical!!!!

dan's cast offs.
Red is standard map.

20170716_120932.jpg

LY R27
Hi all,

Thanks for your input. This is my second 197, (years ago I owned an R27) and I am confident that this is not “the” 197 flatspot.

We are talking pretty much 0 load on the engine, and yes, a little like anti lag. Popping and banging.

Sounds more like an ignition error, or fueling error at this RPM. Like Lambda, crank timing or alike.

Also, this is irrelevant of engine temperature - cold or hot. Just at low revs, almost like the throttle pedal is redundant, unless you force it out of that RPM band (by shifting down), or by pinning the throttle to the floor gives it a little hesitation but then would accelerate as normal.

dan's cast offs.
Yup, flat spot on standard map. As said some are pretty bad as you can see from the graph but lift ever so slightly and it will just about pull through it or accelerate hard before it and it pulls through absolutely fine.

Ecu is just getting confused and throwing a wobbler as it's a pretty quick ecu.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I got this for a few weeks until eventually it gave me a a light on the dash. I wish I could remember what the fault code was, think it was coil or injector but might be wrong.