ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sub&amp *Totally confussed!!*

I bought 2 12" jbl 8ohm subs (these are what sextons recommened when running 2 subs off one amp). i have fitted subs and amps before but these subs have 4 conections at the back. how would i wire these up? Is it something to do with connecting in series? would i be ok just to use 2 of the connections?

Like i said its totally confused me! any help u guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.

if it helps this is the amp i have.

2,3 or 4 channel for Dual Subwoofer, Sub and Mains for massive sound or Thumping Phat Bass!!.... Can you handle it?!
Think you can handle more?.... See my other auctions for an even louder amp!

High power and Top features... Great Design!
Housing from milled aluminum
MOSFET technology provides a unique sound experience
2 Ohm Stable
Adjustable RCA Level Inputt
Ultra Stable PWM (Pulse width Modulated) Power Supply
Inbuilt high speed fan for balanced temperatures
Thermal Protection
Circuit Protection
Remote-on Power
Transient Noise Muting
Turn on delay
Speaker Short Circuit Protection
Gold Plated RCA

Youre right..that didnt work too well. However I think i can guess what you mean. By the looks of things the amp is 2ohm stable. Therefore you have to wire the subs in parallel to get the most power out of it.

The 2 connections are because it is a dual voicecoil sub. You need to connect a cable between the 2 + connectors on the sub and the same with the - connectors. Then you connect one of the sides (doesnt usually matter which one) to the amp in the normal way.

Because you have wired the subs in parallel each sub will show the amp a 4ohm load meaning that 2 subs will halve the resistance making it 2ohms.

There is one thing that I have just noticed though. The amp is a 4 channel meaning that you will need to bridge one sub on each pair of channels to make the load 4ohm bridged per side. If you connect both subs to the same side the amp will more than likely go into protection mode as I doubt it will run 2ohm bridged.

Hope that helps you out

Russ

Russ

Thanks for the advice, just a couple of questions

Will my amp be ok to use with the subs?

And so i connect the two subs together then to the amp. so only 3 of the 4 connections will be be used. i mean all four on one and only 2 on the other.

How would you go about wiring them up if it was u doin it?

By the way saw your car at the french car show! WOW!:D

I have an alpine m500 mono amp rated at 567.8watts rms powering my 200watt rms sony xplode dual 4ohm sub running at 2ohms. Ill give it 3 months before I blow the sub up. mono amps are great.

Are your subs dual 8ohms (you can wire them in 4 or 16 ohms) or are they dual 4ohms (you can run them in 2 or 8ohms).

If they are dual 8s then wire them each into 4ohms and bridge your amp into 2 channels. So each channel will power both coils on each sub.

ok ive got a teaser of a question then....

ive got a 2ohm stable pg QX monoblock... & two directed duel voice coil subs.... Can I only run both of them at 2 ohms on my current amp, or is it possible to run both at 1 ohm? or will the amp get fried? or do i have to wire them up differently or can i only do it with single voice coil subs?! coz its confusing me!!!!

I think we need to get a few things right here first as it might get confusing otherwise.

What make and model of subs and amp have you got/planning to use? If you can find out i will tell you the exact way to wire them up to get the most power from the amp.

As a sidenote to answer your question. A monoblock amp would run your subs better but again that all depends on what impedance your subs are as most monoblocks dont tend to put out much power unless driven to 2 or 1ohm loads...depending on the model of course.

Russ

ok mate! if you could that would be wicked...

Ive got the Pheonix Gold QX900.d monoblock & 2 Directed Studio 12" duel voice coil subs!! so what is the best way for these to be wired up then? with getting the most out of them!!!

cheers mate

Mark

That response was actually meant for the original question from Iain2010 but thats ok...ill answer your query too.

With the QX900.1 you can only run it at 2ohms. 1ohm will make it go into protection mode or worse still...kill it off altogether.

Seeing as the Directed Studio subs only come in dual 4ohm configuration..you are going to have a problem with matching the impedances up. As far as i know (unless the rules of science have changed recently) you are not going to be able use that amp for both subs at 2ohms unless you only use one of the coils on each sub. I certainly wouldnt recommed that though.

The only options you have really are either to cange the amp to a 1ohm stable one, use 2 amps or change your subs to another model with a single 4ohm coil or dual 2ohm coils.

Hope that makes sense to you.

Russ

ahh thats ok mate, it makes kinda sense!! the second one aint wired up at the moment & the one thats in my motor currently is on the pg amp and is running at 2 ohms, so i thought i might have problems... If i were to change the subs for the single voice coil directed studio 12s... Could I then run both of them on that amp at 2 ohms...? I could do that couldnt i?

But I wont be keeping that amp for very long, im changing it for a single Genesis monoblock, Is it worth getting a genesis monoblock for each sub ? Or is it better to run say two subs off the single genesis profile sub monoblock?

cheers for your help mate, much appreciated!

Unfortunately I dont know too much about the power figures and ratings etc of the Genesis amps as we havent tried to set up an account with them yet.

I think 1 amp for both of those subs will be fine. 2 would be overkill really as they are in the top end of the budget category really...nothing wrong with that though!!!

It sounds like theres no point changing the subs to the SVC model if you are changing the amp over anyway. You can match the amp to the subs that you already have and save yourself some money.

Russ

ah ok mate! Well Ive had an offer for someone to buy both of them off of me... & im in the process of uprating nearly all of my ICE, & Im tempted to go for the new directed pro comp x sub woofers.... Im hoping they still are not in the budget catagory, or if are, are they any good? Ive heard great things about them, like being compared to JL W6s & that? But Ive been very pleased with my Directed studios so far!!! But like I said, im uprating everything & was tempted to go for the better directed subwoofers!
Ive recently bought new front speakers, nearly there with ordering amps, but still dubious on sub choices...!!! So any guidence is good mate!!!
cheers again

Mark

The Comp Xs are very good subs. The old model was great for working in small sealed boxes as will ther new model when it finally comes out. I was going to have a couple of those myself but they didnt have a release date on them at the time. They arent in the budget range as I think they are around £230.

If youre interested or know of anyone else that is...I have a couple of brand new 15" Kicker L7 squares in a 1" thick sealed 3cuft box for sale for £500.

Russ

I will have a look see for ya mate... but I am going to stick to the new comp xs when they actually release the price date for them! do you order in genesis amps by the way??? coz u said u havent set up an account with them yet or somet?!

oh yeah mate, whats the link to pictures of your demo clio again? would like to show a couple of my mates!

We cant get hold of Genesis stuff yet but we are working on it. We can now however do Viper amps and subs which are very good pieces of kit.

The link to the website with the pictures on it is www.evilice.freeservers.com.

Russ

cheers mate! & that is one mental clio, you should be proud! :D
& Can I ask... but how much would all that cost?!!?! lol

well tell me if you do set up an account with them & id prefer to give you my business than give it to my local ICE shop, i aint looking to buy them till end of august anyways :)

Ok..ill keep you posted. We are also planning on setting up a Focal account which would be a bonus for us...and Cliosport members of course.

If you wanted to have a Clio built to the same as what I drive about in you would be looking at around £13,000 worth of mods plus the cost of the car. However the system is being changed this week (again) ready for Max Power Live so is having another £1000 spent on it...I really need to stop but I cant.

Russ

lol! I know how you feel mate, if youve got any of the stuff coming out of the motor going cheap, u know where I am hehe ;-)

oh focal & genesis... my two favourite makes!!! that will be a big bonus mate!! You shouldve told me that a week ago! Coz I went out & bought a set of poly kevlars 3 way componant set! =/

nice set of speakers those.

We are in fact selling a load of stuff from our old system. Its all listed in the For Sale section...feel free to have a browse.

Russ