ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sub and amp

A mate of mine wants a sub and amp to play rock/metal music with. Looking at the cheaper side of £250 any ideas? also is that sony combined sub and amp any good?

cheers

SONY = BAD

although they have a very nice head unit for 2.5k lol, but thats it for in car entertainment by them!!

tell him to look at a PG Octane subwoofer & an alpine monoblock or a 2 channel amp that can be bridged to around the same RMS output as the sub can take!! & he should be able to get some nice stuff for £250 including cables!!

look at www.cel-direct.com & www.caraudiodirect.co.uk & obviously russs site too! (evilice!!)

Mark

For the type of music that your mate listens to, he would be best to go for a 10" sub to keep the music fast paced, tight and not too overpowering. Also he will need a sealed box for the same reasons.

With the amp. In this case I woudnt recommend a monoblock as they are mostly class D which doesnt have the sound quality of class A/B amps. He will be best to go for a 2 channel amp.

I think a good option for him would be to go for a JBL bp300.1 which is a mono amp but isnt class D. One of those is £130 which is a bargain. For the sub I would go for an Alpine Type R 1041D for £110.

He will need a little extra for the enclosure and if he needs the cabling but the system will sound very nice.

Russ

Dont mean to steal the post... But dont suppose you know what class the profile sub by genesis is? Ive got a class D at the moment, & I havent had any problems regarding sound quality so far but I will be changing to the genesis profile sub very soon & I cant seem to see what it is... Is there a big difference in quality & price of a class D amp apposed to a class A or B amp in monoblocks?

Also the genesis amp says its 1.5ohm stable, I dont wanna sound stupid when I say this, but does that mean its just about 1 ohm stable or just ultra stable at 2 ohms, coz this is confusing me!! when do you run a sub at 1.5 ohm? You can tell im still learning when it comes to aspects of ICE but am very willing to learn!!!!

cheers mate

Im not sure what the class of the profile sub amp is unfortunately but im guessing theres probably some sort of mix of class A/B and D in there..It might even be there own type of class like Rockford have the Class BD series.

The 1.5ohm stability would be used when using subs like a JL W7 which are dual 3ohm or any dual 6ohm subs which are cropping up more and more for SQ installs these days. You would be risking running the amp at 1ohm but Genesis amps are renowned for being solid so you could always try it. You shouldnt damage the amp by doing that. If it doesnt like it, it will go into protection.

There is a big SQ difference between Class D and Class A/B. SQ is sacrificed for high power and high efficiency on Class D amps. You can get away with it when running subs but if you listen to systems all day, you tend to get to know what sounds different. For the ultimate blend of the all the technologies you could always look at Class T.

Russ

Cheers for the info mate!
I will look into the genesis profile sub & find out the class etc etc! I will be running the comp x subwoofers off that amp most probably.

But I dont think I know any websites that sell class T amps? do you sell them? if so what makes are they & how much would I be looking at? I was gona budget up to £350 (online price) for a monoblock most probably.

The best makes of class T amps are Crystal and Blaupunkt. We only sell the Crystal ones though as they are the better ones anyway. There may be others out there but I havent checked lately.

Russ

never heard that class d amps arent as gd quality. All the advoce i have had from numerous ice people is that class d is better!!!!

Pete

I also heard that d blocks for subs are the best amps, but i didnt wana say otherwise coz Russ probably knows more than me =/

Class D is the best type of amp for subs as they are the most efficient type. They typically have over 75% efficiency compared to around 50% for normal class A/B amps. The benefits are that you get a greater power output without heavy draining of the battery.

Now heres the snag.....to get the extra power and higher efficiency out of the Class D amps something has to suffer and thats the SQ. Some people may not notice due to the fact that subs only produce low frequencies but there is definately a difference.

I dont know of any SQ competitors that use Class D amps in their installs (I might be wrong on that). If you were to put a sub on a class D amp and then use the same one on a Class A/B amp you wil notice that there are very noticeable variations. All SQ competitors will tell you the same.

Dont get me wrong, Class D is one of the best high power technologies for subs and we always recommend them in normal systems or for anyone that isnt going heavily into the SQ department as they give great results.

Hopefully that clears that up.

Russ