ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sub Box Terminal Question? (Pics)

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
I have decided to build my own sub box and make my own set up, like many people have done.

I ordered a terminal to go on the side of my sub box, ( http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Round-recesse...iFiSpeakers?hash=item5190d2788d#ht_896wt_1165 )

Now i was under the impression that the 2 wires between the amp and the sub (to the terminal) were just plug in ones? like normal red and white sound cables.

Well i tried plugging in a red cable into it, and the hole seemed bigger and it just falls out, and i discovered that the red and black things in the pic unscrew, and under them are holes, now im guessing that you strip the cable back, put it through the hole and screw it down, is this how you do it?

what are the leads like between the amp and sub? what connections are on the ends etc?

few pics of my terminal..

Note>> The leads i tried to olug in were form the Xbox VGA cable, the sound ones, and they wernt thick enough.

P1010049.gif

P1010050.gif

P1010051.gif

P1010052.gif

Any help would be great

Thanks.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
FLOL, Nick, they dont go in the top, see where you unscrewed to reveal that little hole, the stripped wires go in there, and then you screw down, to form a tight connection.

Sorry I haven't been about to answer your q's or emails if you sent any, been a busy git!!

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Aint sent any mails mate, That was the 1st pic i took with them in the top, LOL, just my 1st guess, didnt realise till i unscrewed them, just wanted to double check, LOL, Think im getting the MDF end of this week, Woot!

Polo + Micra
you can use 4mm banana plugs in there like these

there are better as they are a good fit and not likely to come loose

Not a Clio
No offence, but do you know enough about car audio to be building your own box? I just don't want you to go and make a hash of it, we've all been there!

You will need speaker cable with or without banana plugs to run the sub from the amp, not low level RCA's as you have shown in the picture.

Regarding building the box, are you building it the correct volume, and porting it correctly (if you are porting it). 18mm MDF or thicker and make sure its very well sealed on all of the joints.

Sorry if you know all of this already!

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Thanks for the advice Lyons, the only reason i tried the Low Level RCA's was just to see if it fits, and to demonstrate if i had the right idea.

I am using 18mm MDF, picking it up this week, and im making a solit box, no porting, and dont worry, it will be sealed.

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
As for the 4mm plugs, they look like a better idea, but the plug bit looks longer than the depth of the holes on my terminal?

Looking at buying these, the pin length is 14mm, just measured the depth of the holes on my terminal, and its 12mm, These plugs going to be ok to use?

Polo + Micra
yeah they just wont go full depth into the socket but thats fine

i think you can use them on the sub aswell as you tend to find the same sockets on the sub

also i'd remove the tabs shown in pic below and use crimped ring lugs on the nuts to give a decent connection

Attachments

• remove tabs.jpg
    remove tabs.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 37
  Not a Clio
Thanks for the advice Lyons, the only reason i tried the Low Level RCA's was just to see if it fits, and to demonstrate if i had the right idea.

I am using 18mm MDF, picking it up this week, and im making a solit box, no porting, and dont worry, it will be sealed.

Good stuff! What sub have you got? What volume are you making it?

Not a Clio
If my maths is correct and those figures are the external dimensions that would make the box volume approx 0.4cu. ft.

For a 10" running at 200WRMS I would suggest a volume close to 1 cu.ft. (twice the size of what you are planning).

The problem is the 7" depth. If the wood is 3/4" thick that means the internal depth is just 5.5" (tiny) I would double the depth, making the external depth 14". That gives you a volume of about 0.95cu. ft.

If you are worried about boot space then try making a more fitted shape box to suit the side profile of the boot, then make it just deep enough to give you a decent volume.

You could probably get away with 10" depth with your current 13x13" dimensions. Personally I wouldn't go any lower than that.

Just my 2p, take it or leave it :)

Oh and as for your kit, it's fine, just make sure you bridge the amp to give you maximum power! Set the amp to low pass and don't turn the gain up above half way!

Last edited:
  R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Yeah it was just the boot space mate, and dont really want to go and make it akward by trying to fit the boot well, just wanted a box with a sub in it, nothing too big, 10 inch deep will be fine.... Quick question as i havent looked into this yet...

What is the best way to go and make the box? screw the mdf to the mdf? or screw wood to the inside of the MDF, then screw the other sheets to the wood? (if that makes sence!)

Also, what did you mean about bridging the amp?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Screw the mdf together, you can brace it if you want but the main thing is to seal it with sealant that you put round the edge of your bath

Not a Clio
Check this site out, I couldn't find it yesterday... http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm

Read the first bit then you can use the calculators to mess about with dimensions (it works out the volumes and panel sizes for you) It also shows you how to make the joins. As long as they are rock solid and sealed with decorators caulk it will be ok.

Bridging an amp is when you run 2 channels (usually) as one, making it double the power. The amp you showed above is a 2 channel amp (1 for left and 1 for right). You can run this as a mono (1 channel) by combining the 2 channels.

Each channel will have a + and a - so you connect the sub to a plus from one channel and a minus from the other. If you read the manual that comes with he amp it will probably show you which + and - to connect it to. It's usually the outer connections, i.e. it will look like this: + - + - and you connect it to the first plus and the last minus.

Also, on some multi channel amps there is a switch to change between bridged and un-bridged. Make sure this is switched to bridged.

I hope that is clear and helps you understand :D

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Brilliant! - Just been playing with the calc on that site, would this be ok?

untitled.gif

Also, im getting all my stuff form BnQ, What kinda sealant am i looking for?

Not a Clio
That looks fine, VIBE don't specify a volume on their site from what I can see. Like I said, between about 0.6-0.9 cu.ft will be ok - 0.88 sounds good to me!

If I were you I would adjust the measurments to make them a round number and metric, to make it easier to cut etc.

In B&Q get some "decorators caulk" it's like bathroom sealant. When you seal the box make sure you leave it for at least a day to ensure it has cured and there are no fumes coming off it (these can damage the sub).

Also remember to put sealant along the faces of the joints, not just along the joint on the inside when it's screwed together.

Here's caulk...

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9254358&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=//catalog01/en_GB&fh_search=caulk&fh_eds=%C3%9F&fh_refview=search&ts=1271249508912&isSearch=true

Now get on with it! LOL

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
LOL i will tomorrow when i get the stuff! i couldnt make them bang on 13 inch! thats as close as i could get!

Thanks for the help though, il make some posts in my car project thread showing it being built.

Thanks alot.

Nick.

Not a Clio
Yer that's what I mean, that site is crap and wont let you enter 13" exactly, if you make your 13" exactly though it wont affect the volume much, but will make it easier to measure ;)

Good luck!

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Thanks mate.

Should be pretty easy to do, all sides and faces are 13x13" .. Simples!

With the carpet that goes over the box... Do you carpet it before the sub and terminal go in? ..

Also, when screwing it together, im guessing i apply the Caulk between the 2 faces being screw together?

And then when its done, on the inside on all the seams/joins?

What type of carpet do i need to get for it? and were can i get it from?

Not a Clio
Yep, if your a tiny bit handy and have decent tools you should be able to make a decent job of it!

I would carpet the sealed box (without the sub and terminal in) then cut the carpet around where the holes are, you should be able to tuck the carpet under the lip of the sub and terminal.....if that makes sense? Just don't let the carpet affect the seal!

Yes, I put a line of caulk on one face of the joint then screw them together. Make sure you've done your pilot holes beforehand.

When it's done use a wet finger or a smoothing tool (for girls) to ensure the joint is well sealed.

As for carpet, you can use whatever you like, best to get some that matches your boot, take your pick;

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/accessories/carpet/vinyl.html?cadid=qb05c98mjckb1t2b0jnjheeki3

Iceberg 172
You're brave for doing this when (not in a rude way) you have no idea about ICE... I know f**k all about fitting a supercharger... so I wouldn't do it!

Polo + Micra
make sure the wall behing the sub isn't parallel the to the wall the sub is mounted to

e.g flat front and back

this can cause really bad standing waves

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Ok Thanks.

What screws shal i use as i dont want to split the wood? 4mm in width but 40 or 50mm in length? wood is 18mm thick.

Went to BnQ and stashed it under some stuff, so tomorrow when i got my money can just go in and pick it all up.

Nick.

Not a Clio
I'd use some fairly long ones, at least an inch and a half if not quite a lot longer! Other than that it's personal preference (correct me if I'm wrong?).

And Dink, I've never had a problem with standing waves....?

Polo + Micra
you only need to have one face off parallel to stop them

this is why most boxes you buy are wedge shaped this is to kill 2 birds

1. get rid of chance of standing waves.
2. fit most car boots better.

this might only be the case for sealed enclosures