ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Subframe advice needed...

BG Clio 182,
Hi

Was wondering if anyone could help..

I picked up a Clio ph2 172 recently as a project which needs a fair bit of work(more than I thought).

Recently removed the engine so I could get new belts,dephaser and gaskets etc - was cleaning up the subframe and noticed a big crease on it so it’s pretty much toast.

My question for anyone that knows,do I need a subframe specifically for a 172 or will any ph2 Clio subframe work?

Sorry if this seems a stupid question but generally can find any answers online so thought I would check here - any help is much appreciated[emoji4]

Here is the current creased subframe...
d0a51559e85e95824924839266185d1d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Dude fitted the wrong sub frame and was blaming Mark's box rebuild
That would be me..... it turns out it wasn't actually the subframe either... it was down to the driveshaft being too long after the Gripper diff was installed.. Problem was resolved after I got a GKN drive shaft from ECP which is 18mm shorter than any other shaft available...

I've since re-measured both my 182 and 172 Cup subframe and they are identical...

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
@Eddie555 out of Interest what drive shaft were you running?
I'm on standard 182 shafts with the gripper with no problems.
I do have the role centre kit on though which gives me 5mm more clearance.
Did you try moving your engine over?

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
@Eddie555 out of Interest what drive shaft were you running?
I'm on standard 182 shafts with the gripper with no problems.
I do have the role centre kit on though which gives me 5mm more clearance.
Did you try moving your engine over?
My OG shaft was the OE Renault.. At the time the suspension was set quite low.. The problem was the shaft, on a hard right turn, was pushing into the drive Cup.. I spoke to Gripper and their solution (from their experience) was to shorten the shaft by 20mm.. I measured my shaft and it was 658cm.. I went over to J&R shafts as it's only Birmingham and measured their shaft which was 660cm... I then searched ECP and found that their GKN shaft was 640cm.. Bought it fitted it.. problem is no more... Saying that and in hindsight a rollcentre kit would probably have solved it also as it really just needed a touch of extra clearance and plus the wishbones flattening out would also stop the shaft pushing into the diff..

Tried moving the engine over but because I have solid K-tec mounts throughout it made little to no difference..

Top shaft GKN
Middle OE Renault
Bottom J&R

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
07fc22210d9982095be5b08e3adcf88b.jpg

Last edited: