ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

!!!Subs!!!

4ohm because a lot of amps cant run at 2ohm. The higher the impeadance (ohms) the cooler the amp will run.

Usually if an amp says 2ohm stable id still rather go for 4ohms.

An amp will run at (X)ohms and up.

difference in ohms will not make a difference in sound quality especially in sub woofers.

+ usually when a sub says 2 ohms its 2x 2ohm voice coils meaning you can either run it at 4ohms or 1ohm, and if a sub says 2x 4ohm voice coil you can either run it at 2ohms or 8 ohms. Depends which way you wire it.

Have you got an amp already or do you have one in mind? It also depends whether you are having more than 1 sub. If you go for the latest standard with amps and subs then you should either go with 2x Dual 4ohm subs with a 1ohm stable class D amp or for a single sub system you would go for a dual 2ohm sub to get the best from the same amp.

Russ

Evil I.C.E. Car Audio

oh thats right..sorry i didnt read the name at the side of your post. Ill be getting the prices on everything for you tomorrow morning so ill send you a PM with the details.

k cheers mate, also i guess you will know this, you know how you can join together phoenix gold amps and directed ones etc... is it possible to do this with the kicker 1200.1 at all?

Matt

Now i see a problem here. If you go for 1 1200.1 amp then it will do 1200watts @1ohm which an L7 will take as long as youre careful with the gains. To get 2 subs on that amp you will need to go for the Dual 4ohm voicecoil versions. When you buy the secong 1200.1 you will only be running 1 sub on each amp and therfore dropping the impedance down to 2ohms which only gets 600watts out of each amp. Basically you will be doubling the amount of cone area with the subs but halving the power output so there will be no difference in loudness whatsoever..It may not even perform as well as with 1 sub.

Really you need to make up your mind whether you want to go for 2 amps or 1 from the start..if the answer is 2 then you might need to do a bit of saving.

Or how about this for an idea. Get 2x Rockford bd500.1s. It will cost slightly less for 2 amps than 1 of the Kickers which is a bonus and when loaded down to 1ohm you are looking at around 1000 watts RMS for each sub.

Russ

You can do that with the Kicker 1200.1 yes. but i think its like the other systems out there where you can only double the power into 1 sub as it would drop the impedance..and the L7 wont take 2400watts without it jumping out of the box.

Ive just checked the Kicker website and it looks like i was right unfortunately. Basically with the 2 amps sync bridged together you can only run it at 2ohms or 4ohms. Therefore you would have to get 2 Dual 8ohm subs to get it down to that power..Unfortunately Kicker dont do a dual 8ohm L7 which may mean a rethink of your system plan.

Russ

350z & 16v Maxi

Get two dual 2 ohm subs then run them in series to get 4 ohms which will then make the amp run at 2 ohms and then when you get your other amp you can run it at 1 ohm for each amp.

Also Im not sure how this would work but you could try one amp parallel and one in series which will give 0.8 ohms. Not sure how this would work but is a suggestion.

PS I Think the 1200.1 runs much higher than 600watts at 2 ohms.

It may do more at 2ohms but Kicker dont list a figure for it.

You could run the subs in series..strangely i didnt think of that. you should still be able to get the package that you wanted to if you wanted to run it like that until you can get the other amp.

Hang on a second...ive just had a thought. unless you want to stick with Kicker amplifiers for any particular reason, how about going for an Audiobahn A2300HCQ amp. It looks fantastic and has a power output of 2x1200watts RMS the same as 2 of the Kickers. Bearing in mind that the kickers are going to be around £600 each, the Audiobahn retails at £800 but we could do you one for £699...is that a bargain for 2400watts RMS or what...oh and i forgot to mention, it is also class A/B which means better sound quality plus you will be able to go for the dual 4ohm subs that are easier to sell if you ever want to get rid of them.

What do you reckon to that option Colin?

Another couple of corrections..my mistake..you would have to go for the dual 2ohm subs to get down to 1ohm per channel.

Also the retail price i quoted was + VAT. It is actually supposed to be £940. Therefore with the price of £699 you are saving at least £500 by not going for kicker amps...worth a look methinks.

Russ

350z & 16v Maxi

Id go for dual 2 ohm subs 9 out of 10 times as you can run it at 4 ohms or down at 1. However if you were going for that audioBahn amp then I’d o for the dual 4 ohms and run the subs at 2 ohms with the amp in mono at 1 ohm. That is some big power youll be getting there. However I recon that amp would get quit hot at that and I would suggest you install a couple of fans to keep it cool.

Colin

We can get hold of the Kicker L7s for £265 each and the 1200.1 is £659. They may not be the very cheapest prices out there at the moment as we havent got our direct kicker account set up yet. However i do think you would get a better personal service out of us than most other companies.

Russ

Evil I.C.E Car Audio

That Audiobahn amp is supposed to be able to do 1200 watts x2 @1ohm stereo which is always a bonus. As you say it might get a bit warm so it might be worth going for dual 4ohm coils and running it in mono mode.

350z & 16v Maxi

Basically the answer to the question in the subject is:

If your going for two 1 ohm stable amps mono then get the dual 2 ohm subs

If your are going for one 1 ohm stable mono amp then get the dual 4 ohm subs

If your going for two 2 ohm stable mono amps then get the dual 4 ohm subs

If your going for one 2 ohm stable mono amp get the dual 2 ohms or single 4 ohm subs

If your going for a 2 ohm stable stereo amp then get the dual 4 ohm subs

Colin

That should explain it colin...do you think we may have lost most people somewhere in this conversation.

The Audiobahn does 2400 @ 1ohm mono which will be roughly the same as running it as a 2 channel stereo. Its difficult to say which way it would work best.

Russ

after reading this i want someone to bite my head off! lol, ok ok, here goes, im gonna get to subs yeah? ok, so what would happen if i got two kicker 1200.1s and set it up so that ONE amp ran ONE sub? what would happen then? ideally i wanna keep the whole system kicker

Matt

would it run ok thou? it wouldnt be too much power for them or anythin? i wanna get as much as i can outta the subs! as loud as they can be, they gonna be best for the job? you know what i mean, dont want to spend a lot of money for it to sound no louder than what i have now!!!!

matt

The Kickers will take that much power but it would be pushing there limits.

Just to throw another spanner in, have you thought about the Resonant Engineering HC12 subs. They are £255 so a simlar price but they will outperform the Kickers in every area and will handle 2000watts RMS each with no problems whatsoever. There are no better built suibs in the world in my (and lots of other peoples) opinion.

At the end of the day everyone has seen and possibly heard a couple of Kicker L7s on big kicker amps..yes theres nothing wrong with doing it but why not be different and go for some RE stuff.

Russ

Evil I.C.E. Car Audio