ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Substantial Power Steering Fluid Leak!

Phase 2 172
Wondered if anyone could shed some light on this...

I did a trackday at Castle Combe on Tuesday this week, parked the car up as usual outside my house and the next morning there was a large puddle which obviously suggested a leak.

Now, the car has always had a very light gearbox leak, but nowhere near as bad as this.

I started the engine after it being sat for a few days, turned the wheel and there was an almighty whine - suggesting power steering pump. So I put some fluid in, re-bled the system and the whine went away. Got the car onto the drive and up in the air and when looking underneath, power steering fluid was just raining off the bottom of the gearbox!

I think maybe the trackday has put some stress on either the pump, or pipes.

What do people suggest? And how much am I expecting to pay to get it sorted?

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
It depends where it's broken. Check the pipe first, where it passes over the gearbox is one area to check (I suspect it will be leaking close to the lower gearbox mount at the front of the engine - to see it better remove the air filter box etc, it's below there). On one track day I lost a little fluid through the reservoir cap, it never happened again so it was a bit strange.

Phase 2 172
I've got a Ktec induction kit on it so will have a proper look when I get the chance. Will be going into the garage this week for a proper inspection.