ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Suggested Tyre Pressures - help needed - possible mechanical problem

Clio 172 Cup
Hey guys,

OK so I have my 172 cup 52 plate on the following tyres:

Toyo Proxes 205/40/R17 T1-S Speed Rating W
Speedline Turini Corse alloys

I know that the ideal PSI is front 33 and rear 30......but these are for the original wheels 195/40/R16.

So what should I use for my tyres? The same?

The reason I ask is that I have a spare wheel in the boot, which is pretty damn heavy and it wont fit in the spare wheel well as its too big. So when I am cornering and if I hit a bump in the mid-corner the back end will "jump" slightly in the direction the car is turning.........quite worrying if you are in a national speed limit zone!

Bearing in mind that I have this heavy tyre in the boot, should I alter my pressures to compensate......if so what do you guys suggest I change them to?

Could the "jumping" issue be due to a mechanical problem? The car does seem pretty bouncy and not as stiff in the corners as it used to.

Any help / suggestions would be cool

rgds
Jp

Clio 172 Cup
33/31.

As for the spare jumping about, buy a boot net to hold it in place.

cheers ;-)

as for the spare, it doesnt jump about as its pretty much jammed in the boot in one position. Thats why I was worried about it being a mechanical issue?

Or is it just gonna be likely that its due to the extra weight in the rear?

Megane Trophy, Golf
The cups dont have spare wheels! they have two cans of tyre foam! and as for the tyres, you should have left on the originals as the car was set up for them :) Putting on bigger wheels dont mean its going to handle better, or renault would have done it to start with.

Clio 172 Cup
thanks for that, i knew that anyway.

This problem has not occurred since i changed the tyres. Its been more recent in the past few weeks. I've had these wheels on over 2 years now without issue.

I asked for advice, not a lecture on why not to change the wheels. Ta

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
rear shocks, pressures wont make that much differnce, nor will a 9kg wheel and tyre.

check the rear shocks for leaks

Clio 172 Cup
yeah thats what I was thinking.

Turns out the tyre does fit in the well. Oooops. So if you have 17" wheels and you have a 17" spare its ok!

Anyway I'll check the rear shocks. How much is the going rate for a pair of these........its usually the case that if one has gone you are meant to change the pair right? Or is that rubbish?!?

Just spent £320 having the master cylinder supplied and replaced, and a brake caliper supplied and replaced. Annoying!

Clio 172 Cup
the car only seems to do this when turning into a right hand corner - does this suggest a faulty rear-left shock? Will check for leaks tomorrow when its light

Clio 172 Cup
really! where from? renault? I paid £49 for the air pipe that comes out of the air filter lol!

I was expecting something a bit more expensive! Sweet

53 Clio's & counting
question mate,if you feel it could be due to the extra weight it the back caused by the spare,why dont you take it out then go for a drive to see any difference?

Clio 172 Cup
well i actually noticed that it started doing this before the wheel was in, but i thought nothing of it. Its just worst with the wheel. Seems to be getting worst too. When I get in the car in the morning, first thing I do as I'm releasing the hand brake is reverse uphill. As I take off the handbrake and give it some gass, I can feel the rear end dip towards one side (the left I think). Now Renault has just changed a rear brake caliper that was stuck on with a new one. It wont be anything to do with that will it?

Will I need to get it on ramps to check properly for leaks from the shocks? Cant see much otherwise.