ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sump guards

anyone fitted one of these?

Im not thinking of getting one, just wondering how they affect your car. obviously they protect the sump, but they stiffen the engine cross member? or something like that! what does that do?

cheers

its usually a 3mm steel plate thats bolted on to the bottom of the subframe.

Protects the sump and depending on the engine downpipe etc.

It stiffens bugger all.

Also if its a decent one it will reduce front end lift.

I have to say its not really needed for road/tarmac rallying. On the 19 (lets be honest its a clio with a boot kind of) when you take off and the suspension bottoms out the subframe gets a few scrapes and in the energys case the downpipe gets scraped. I have these marks, but then again I shouldnt really be jumping 15 feet in the air at least the windscreen didnt crack.

" I have to say its not really needed for road/tarmac rallying"

I have to disagree with this statement im afraid! I have got to the end of many tarmac rallies thanks to the sump guard after a hard landing! It is designed to take the impact of rocks/broken tar/kerbs/jumps etc etc rather than your sump and down pipe and so on.

Not needed for road use to be honest...

yeah fair point why I put that in I dont klnow! Its not needed for road use though.

Tarmac rallies they are usefull, very usefull.

seen some for £50 second hand, my friend had a metro lowered to hell and he was going through sumps for a pass time!, so maybe that could justify road use! but then with the extra 3mm of steel and the room for fitting, he would probably just keep grounding it on stuff! lol,

Cheers for the info

well in cases like that mod the sump. Take it up until the next thing is there to be ground, usually the bellhousing.