ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sunroof leak fixed

naples valver
as pretty much everyone knows that the mk 1 was prone to sunroof leaks i had had enough of having a cold shower every time i turned a corner!! so i first of all tried the easy option i first stripped the sunroof control plastic and central locking sensor to see if it was the ariel or the sunroof the area around the ariel was bone dry so it was the sunroof. i thought id take the easy option and silcone at the top first to see if it worked this lasted all of 1 week. so more drastic measures were to be taken. . . . .

Attachments

• DSC00181res.JPG
    DSC00181res.JPG
    300.4 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC00182res.JPG
    DSC00182res.JPG
    244 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC00183res.JPG
    DSC00183res.JPG
    348.4 KB · Views: 75
  Audi TT 3.2 V6
lol surely removing the sunroof completely will make things worse ;)

you got a new sunroof on order?

naples valver
after stripping out the sunroof i could see how it was leaking there is a seal which sits underneath the plastic surround on top of the roof and the bolts that hold it down tight from inside the car had worked there way loose allowing water to get in under the seal so in order to stop this happening again i silconed all around the seal in side the plastic and bolted it down tight using locktite on the bolts and it has not leaked for a month now so i couldnt be happier. just thought i would share this incase any1 wants to attempt it themselves.

rich

Audi TT 3.2 V6
pm a mod get this put in the guides section:)

may be usefull for alot of mk1 owners

naples valver
its not really a detailed enough guide and i only took 3 pics so doubt it would be much good but i dont mind advising people if they need help just drop me a pm

rich

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU
Does the sunroof still open, mines covered in ducktape around the edges at the moment.:(

naples valver
course it still opens the sill is underneath the plactic suround that sits on top of the roof and the water was getting in between the roof and the plastic suround. i silconed it underneath the black plastic suround and bolted it down so is now water tight it doesnt leak in between the rubber sill and the glass.
if u need any help let me know

rich

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
I fixed my sunroof awhile back for my mk1. The water was tripping the imobliser and the car wasnt going anywhere. Had to dry the car and strip the whole sunroof off.

I did post a guide to a mod, cant remember who, but it didnt make it.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Well, i was going to take the headcloth down, but i couldnt be bothered making a mess of it.
So i drilled 4 holes just at the bolts in the inside(rear of the sunroof) and unscrewed it with a deep socket. Then dropped the front head cloth partially and got in to the others(no more holes). I sealed all the way around my sunroof where the plastic meets the bodywork. I used Windscreen sealer, its the toughest stuff, also it doesnt set, so it moves and bends with the car.

The seal was broke underneath the carriage so just sealed the whole sunroof and the ariel.