ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Super unleaded or fcuk it normal

Doesn't 95 r****d the timing or some s**t i read before. I run my type r on v power and do get more mpg. I do it for that reason alone. If it benefits the engine, well that's a bonus.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
Normal 95 fuel can't be that bad as 90% of the petrol cars use it and they don't all blow up do they.
I always use Tesco 99 on my Focus RS and in the Clio as I have a Tesco near me and it is a lot cheaper than Shell but just use 95 in my bike, my old Clio 182 back in 2004 always ran better on super and then I was using Sainsburys Super.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Always ran mine on the good s**t.

Theoretically it doesn't make a difference to an unmapped car, but you have a bigger margin of safety with regards to knock and it's probably better in terms of additives too.

I've always found that the fuel economy improvement on the clio and the volvo made it just as cheap per mile as normal stuff.

I prefer Momentum personally. I had a little stint not too long ago where I was just sticking in V-Power and it seemed to be chewing through it much faster without any real power gain, and it's like 6p a litre dearer.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I've been running mine on 95 through winter as going over 5k rpm isn't my priority in s**t weather. My car was in DDC last week and they said it feels like a good one and it's fast. 95 ftw!
Also over only owned it a year and done 8 of its 89k miles. I have no idea whats gone through it before but doubt a drop of 95 will suddenly kill it.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
When I had my 200 it ran smoother on total (I think) 97 than the 99 jobbies in my opinion.

All my bikes get shell v power as well as the golf.

I've not voluntarily put normal unleaded in a car since my first car IIRC; I only use it if I'm in the middle of nowhere and the only garage I can get to doesn't have Super, and even then I'll only put enough in to get me to a garage that does have Super.

Pretty much everything I've used Super in has idled smoother on it, and for £1.50-£3 per tank extra (assuming you're not filling up and bending over at a motorway service station), it only adds 0.5p-1p more per mile driven if a tank does 300 miles.

www.PetrolPrices.com lets you set up an email alert so you know which garage near your location of choice has the cheapest petrol of your choice - supermarkets are consistently 6p or more cheaper than the 'name brands' for Super and I must have done at least a couple of hundred thousand miles on supermarket Super with no ill effects that I am aware of.

An ex of mine once said out of the blue while driving "It's running really smoothly recently" - to which I replied with words to the effect of "That's because I've put the last three tanks in and it's been Super, rather than the normal stuff you put in". I think that's pretty good evidence about perceived versus actual differences.

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
Bit of a thread bump here.

I’ve always ran my 182 on 95 but there’s a new ESSO near me which I pass on the way to work.

Does anyone run theirs on Synergy Supreme+99 ?

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
99 Momentum constantly for my last 5 cars (All new).

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Normal is 190 last time v power was 197. I do like 12 miles a day. No idea why I tried to 'beat' the system. Vpower as normal from now on.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I remember my 182 had a lumpy idle whenever it was ran on normal fuel.
Always filled with vpower or super if I wasn't by a shell at the time.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Would imagine it'd run fine on E10 95, but the fuel doesn't store well so if the car isn't being driven often or stored over winter it's best to avoid.

Ethanol free can be found in some Esso stations (unless they've changed things recently).

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
It's pretty much lived off a diet of the good stuff - but more so now as a necessity with it mapped to run on super unleaded.

Giving it 95 now would appear like an act of vehicular cruelty. Like promising Fat Dave in the office something good when you've nipped out on dinner and bring him back a snack pack of carrot sticks.

Chocice

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, RSI, 200
Would be interesting to see the same car driven around different environments by the same driver on standard and then super (road, traffic, motorway, track). Has anyone come across a video like this on youtube? I reckon a lot of people who have been filling up with super will be switching to cheaper fuel due to the high prices we face at the pump I guess it must be 20ppl difference now in some places.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
95 alright for normal driving but if giving it some put the higher octane in. Id like to see how much ignition is pulled via knock sensor on 95 if giving it some, id bet it wont be too happy.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
95 alright for normal driving but if giving it some put the higher octane in. Id like to see how much ignition is pulled via knock sensor on 95 if giving it some, id bet it wont be too happy.
No danger with me then Jon. I think i've only pushed the limiter once on my BG and that was accidental 😂

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
When I got my car remapped a few years back I was told 1 in 3 fills should be premium... not sure if that's b****cks or not, but have pretty much stuck to that ever since.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
If its mapped for higher octane fuel, every tank should be the same premium fuel.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
It's a 20 year old French engine that never made good power in the first place.

Don't worry, you ain't running a high strung turbo engine.

clio rs mk4
my mk4 only ever gets 99 wether thats esso tesco or shell as they the only ones local to me that sell it normally shell vpower as pass it to and from work

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Would be interesting to see the same car driven around different environments by the same driver on standard and then super (road, traffic, motorway, track). Has anyone come across a video like this on youtube? I reckon a lot of people who have been filling up with super will be switching to cheaper fuel due to the high prices we face at the pump I guess it must be 20ppl difference now in some places.

Totally different from a Clio, but our M140i does about 25-26mpg on our local supermarket fuel and 28-30 mpg for pretty much the same driving profile on v-Power.

Nothing scientific, but that's measured from full fill ups over the last two years with my wife being the main driver (she doesn't know what fuel is in it usually).

I don't really feel a difference but the better mpg makes the prices difference negligible.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Id be careful using 95 in the m140i if mapped. My mate had a bad batch of fuel (sainsburys super unleaded as he was being tight) and the engine was pulling so much timing on the dyno as previously mapped on vpower and was very unhappy. The tuner said it would have went bang in no time if it had sustained hard use.