ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

supercharger + turbo = ? pros and cons?

R35 GTR
;)

Would it be worth it?

I am thinking it will eliminate the lag and produce big power.

Anyone done this before? Doesnt have to be a clio, just interested to see if its worth it.

R35 GTR
serious question, it wouldnt be too hard to bolt all the bits onto the engine. Turbo is already there and GDI have all the bits for the charger.

I would lose the aircon for definite.

Sunflower Yellow Ph1 172
would have to make sure you have forged internals to make the most of it, then huge turbo that comes in later in the rev range, smaller supercharger to get the boost early in the rev range. Supercharger would have to have some sort of clutch to disengage once the turbo spools up then a potentialy complex intake system with some sort of actuator to change intake from the supercharger to the turbo at a given boost pressure or revs. Maybe this part could be adapted from the 1.4 vw engine?

Sounds like it would be expensive R&D and you would prob only get the same power as a well setup supercharged engine, something else in the engine design would become a limiting factor.

Oh and as for cons, no aircon on hot days

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
how would you run both?

one through to the other?

eg..-air filter-turbocharger-supercharger-chargecooler/intercooler-inlet manifold?

why not go twin turbocharger instead?

all you need then is another turbo the same as you have.
a new exhaust manifold.
larger injectors?
poss a better cooling system?

oh and some better traction.

R35 GTR
sounds like a ball ache then. I have read that it is easier to put SC and turbo in series than doing twin turbo. Might be easier just to mount another engine in the back.

ValverInBits
Havent you got a Ktec turbo kit? And don't they supply a (cougholdcough) T25 or T28 journal bearing?

Surely if you really want less lag, get a PROPER turbo manifold made up and a ball-bearing GT series turbo. f**k-it, Go VNT if you really want a challenge. :D

ITB'd MK1
Havent you got a Ktec turbo kit? And don't they supply a (cougholdcough) T25 or T28 journal bearing?

Surely if you really want less lag, get a PROPER turbo manifold made up and a ball-bearing GT series turbo. f**k-it, Go VNT if you really want a challenge. :D

his was (IIRC) a BBtuning kit originally. Those kits look like a T25 to me.
The current K-tec kits all use a GT28R (2856)

Big power, I'd go for a tubular manifold an a GT2876R.......oh i've just made a mess

Cup and R6
As mentioned above, twin turbo it, or go nuts and whack another engine in :)

shouldnt experience much lag with a small turbo, but two engines would be something special :D