ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Supermarket petrol vs Esso/Shell etc

Suzuki Ignis Sport
I have heard that the petrol at Esso or Shell would last longer than supermarket petrol which is probably usually 1p cheaper.

Is this true?.. lasting longer, meaning it will give u a few more miles than petrol at a supermarket such Asda or Tesco?

a thirsty one
i have been using sainsburys super unleaded 95.9p per litre last 6 months or so and have this week swicthed to v-max, my usual mpg is 28-30 and at the moment my mpg is 34.9 and thats doing same trips into work, driving same etc.

its not an absolute science best thing i can say is have a test yourself with both kinds of fuel and see which gives you the best results, most people on here use and love v max though.

my car runs smoother and better on Tesco 99 than V-power I find, it stutters a bit sometimes when cold sometimes, but I'm guessing Tesco's isn't actually 99ron as my car is mapped on 97 and runs better on any super unleaded than V-power...

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
I USED 2 DELIVER FUEL 2 GARAGES.... ITS ALL THE SAME ALL UR PAYIN 4 IS THE NAME

I use tesco 99 btw

Cupped 182 with Recaros
I'm a BP Ultimate man, getting around 38mpg on the motorway from it. V-Power used ot return around 34mpg, BP is the best I have found for mpg.

RB 182
work at sainsburys and our petrol is same as shell, just cheaper. even came delivered in a shell tanker once:p

Mk4 XR3i 90 - spec
No matter where its from, certain rated fuels should be the same.

As for better MPG from higher RON fuels, well to an extent, thats obvious cause the fuel is more efficient. Less fuel is needed to get the same power, so you find yourself using less.

Only time you would notice a major difference would be when mapped propperly for particular fuel and giving it death. Smoother rather than 'more power' but a small difference might be noticed on higher RON.

cock mobile.
work at sainsburys and our petrol is same as shell, just cheaper. even came delivered in a shell tanker once:p

I thought Sainsbury's go their petrol from BP? I'm sure I've read that from reliable sources a few times.

Hence why Sainsbury's Super is 97 like BP Ultimate, and not 98 like V-Power.

Tangoed Works
I pay 91.9 at the moment from Sainsburys and get the old nectar points. Gives about 33mpg on the urban driving. I find that tesco 99 runs out really quickly for some reason.

On numerous ocassions I have had about 20 miles less than the same amount of normal Sainburys unleaded. Not due to driving harder either.

Golf GTI 1.8T
who gives a toss, all depends on how you drive and the difference is so minimal its pathetic to even think and out!

A mate of mine who works in a Tesco petrol station said that Tesco fuel contains a high proportion of ethonol, which can burn very inefficiently in some cars.
Thats what he said anyway.

mate of mine races karts and was running morrisons unleaded pish...kart not running properly...switched to shell no more probs?????

A mate of mine who works in a Tesco petrol station said that Tesco fuel contains a high proportion of ethonol, which can burn very inefficiently in some cars.
Thats what he said anyway.
which is why we had all this about comtaminated fuel

Supermarkets will chop and change suppliers depending on the cheapest contract, could be BP one week, Total Elf the next...