ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Survey... how much power at the wheels u have

160bhp at the wheels (Skip Brown RR)
K & N Induction kit
Superchip
Devil exhaust system (without cat, for testing)
Thats for a Pug 306 Rallye...but I thought it might be interesting to compare....

Gav

HAHAHA!!!
soz mate...you cot conned
160 @ the wheels!!

you got about 220bhp then!!!
must be the K&N!

and 141bhp @ the wheels std...um no.

i have dont about 10 RR runs, and i got about 125-130 @ the wheels....depending on ambient temp....its ususlly about 37deg C here and its an outdoor RR. with a single fan.

I have been developing a RS-R kit for HK customers here spec not very high, but at most, teh best you can do with bolt on goodies.

-piper x Viper kit with larger pipeing to front bumper, not teh crappy 50 quid stuff that comes with it. (watch the water lock haha!)
-custom superchip which took about 2 weeks to get right.
-k-tec cat back system

thats it!

and we got a max increase of about 12bhp and about teh same i teh mid range, around 5000rpm.....so you really shouldnt expect that much!

Agree with BenR.

My Integra pushed 141 at the wheels and 191 at the flywheel.

The Scooby pushed 162 at the wheels and 245 at the flywheel.

My Evo 6 came out with 216 at the wheels and 306 at the flywheel.

The Caterham did 146 at the wheels, which equated to about 175-180 bhp at the flywheel.

Just for comparison.

to be honest id melt my pistons if i ran it at high enuf boost to give me 310bhp for more than 30seconds @ 280bhp its happy as larry tho

St-r-ewth. I thought the 160/wheels would be about 185 at the fly.....which would be about right for 167 std. I thought losses would be around 15%.....

Cant say where Skip Brown were coming from, then.......

Im not bothered, though - cos its the way it drives that matters. Its quick, and its quicker with my mods. Thatll do me.
And in future Ill keep my mouth shut!

me thinks somethings very out here....
agree with benR i rolling roaded at 127 at wheels, but people have 122s on 172s?
although judging by the integras transmission loss a good 40 bhp is norm on a front wheel drive.. or is it?

I had the same discussion a while back on an American Integra Type-R board, where everyone gets around 160 bhp at the wheels, whereas over here 140 is the rule and perfectly normal, equating to around 190 bhp.

I never got a straight answer on why their rollers gave different readings.

Also remember that RR are notoriously variable, you may see 15 bhp more or less on different setups.

The best way to use them is to drive in, do a run, get a figure, then fit something, eg. an exhaust, and run the car again for a relative figure.

lol... thats the ONLY way to use them..
however, RR shootouts are bloody useful.

the key is the DIFFERENCE in performance.. the car with the most power ALWAYS has the MOST power, and same for the lower power jobbies..

if you calculate a coversion factor, and then take another rollers figures (For the SAME CAR with no other mods!) then you can estimate the power on THIER rollers.

the key is that there shouldnt be too much variation.

the first cliosport RR day (listed from the homepage) is totally ott in power figures at the wheels.. me thinks they are at the flywheel ... but.. either that, or, the guy didnt know how to operate the road, or, had adjusted it to over-read - they sometimes do as people like to see high figures .. again the spread is what matters - across the range of tested cars.

I will say this again though.. for those going to Bury RR.. you can take the figures you get to the bank !.

they is as good as you are going to get.

there are a lot of....... errrrrr, how shall I put this ... bloody amateurs out there !..

will be a good day.

i think he wasa bit useless at the road, cause he couldnt take my car as high up the revs as the others as he said the rr would cut out... hows that work? i gotthe same gearing and same size wheels and same engine as everybody else!

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

How much power do i have at my wheels?

Well I think i speak for everyone when I say "Not enough mate".

Probably only about 70 odd bhp

TT 225

Just a few quick questions.

Can a rolling road only measure what power you have at the Wheels?

I thought (but i want to check cos i dont know much bout these things) that you could only measure a fly wheel output if the engine wasnt in the car

So are flywheel measurements just estimates?

And how are they estimated? Is it just a guess at how much power is lost through the transmission?

And (last question, hehe) is it about 17% that is lost through the gears?

Any help appreciated, and dont talk too technical

Just a few quick questions.

-ok

Can a rolling road only measure what power you have at the Wheels?

-yes, it takes the final power from teh wheels after all transmision and rolling losses. this is why its sometimes disapointing.

I thought (but i want to check cos i dont know much bout these things) that you could only measure a fly wheel output if the engine wasnt in the car

-yup, if you want at teh flywheel, or even at teh crank, youhave to use an engine dyno, But even this will not give the in car power as you will be using a different exhaust system and parameters will be slightly different.
So are flywheel measurements just estimates?

And how are they estimated? Is it just a guess at how much power is lost through the transmission?
its guestimate, we have rough calculations, and sometimes you can doa rundown which the computer calcualtes teh rolling losses through runningn down and measuring teh resistance of teh transmission. since we already know the roller losses.

And (last question, hehe) is it about 17% that is lost through the gears?
-roughly yes, but its not as simple as taking away 17%

Any help appreciated, and dont talk too technical
-was it ok?