ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Suspension knocking?!

Renault Clio 1.4 16v
I was wondering if anyone else has had problems with their suspension knocking?

I had coilovers fitted about 1 month ago now and for the first 2-3 weeks it was fine... but then the knocking started.

I took it back to my mechanic and he tightened everything up and said it all seems fine.

I was wondering if its a common problem and if there is anyway to fix it?

It only seems to be coming from the front drivers side coilover. It happens only when going over bumps where the suspension drops into the dip and gets forced back up coming out and clunks.

My random guess is that i need new top mounts but i dont want to spend alot of money of decent top mounts if it wont fix the problem.

Any ideas or suggestions? :)

182 (Conversion)
Why are you so sure it's the suspension?

Checked all the bushes/bolts on the ARB/wishbone etc? Checked it's not a drive shaft? Could be mounts...

Standard top mounts last forever so almost certainly you will not need to change them.

Have the top mounts been tightened to the correct lbs/ft setting whilst the cars weight is on it?

Renault Clio 1.4 16v
Why are you so sure it's the suspension?

Checked all the bushes/bolts on the ARB/wishbone etc? Checked it's not a drive shaft? Could be mounts...

I was thinking it may have been the bushes.

The thing that made me think it was definatly the suspension was the way it happens.

Im pretty sure its not the drive shaft as the noise only seems to come from the drivers side wheel area. Also the mechanic who fitted the coils checked it wouldnt knock when he dropped it.

Anymore ideas?