ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Suspension options for a 172

Right, what options do I have for upgrading the suspension on my 172? I'm after something for fast road use only,not fussed about adjustablity (height or damping) as long as they're more comfortable than my Apex -40 / std shock combo.

I'm currently looking at the following 3 options:

1/ Spax RSX coilover kit

2/ Eibach Sportlines / Koni adjustable shocks

3/ H&Rs (although TBH they're out of my budget)

Anyone had any experience/ownership of the Spax RSX kit? I've found some good deals on them, how do they compare with the likes of FK Konigs or H&Rs (or Sportlines/Koni combo)?

I don't really want to spend as much as H&Rs would cost - just a bit out of budget - but have found some good deals on Spax: is this because they're not up to much or are they genuine good deals?

Any suggestions on the above? Or care to throw any other suggestions/offers my way?!

Ta
Ally

I had the spex RSX on my car for a bit the rear dampers kept failing although Spax were helpful and replaced them i wouldn't buy another set as they were quite hard.
For road use on a budget I'd go with the second choice as it is a great setup for track use its to soft though.
H and R are superb but pricy.

Personally I'd stick with standard if your dampers are worn out get some Blistein B2 replacment (cheaper than Renault) as stock setup is a great compromise for everything

Cheers Edde

TBH I'm swinging towards the Sportline/Koni adjustables set up. I'm not very bothered about lowering the car too much but a bit lower than standard is a requirement (IMO standard height is too high). But I am most interested in a good set up that will perform better instead of my current set up which is more about looks.

I've found a good deal on Sportline springs, but nothing on Koni shocks?

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Go for the Eibac pro kit Ally...Sensible option for you. What with bikes on the roof etc.

Ali

R

rich[182]

You could get the Koni Sportline kit for £360 from Larkspeed, these come with all 4 shocks and 4 Koni progressive springs which by all accounts aren't as good a spring as the Eibach's
However you could sell the springs for say £50 which means you've got the shocks for £310 (normally circa £380) then get the Eibach Sportline springs for about £130 ?

Rich172 - good option! Is this it: http://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?a=i&p=261795

Are these the same shocks as can be bought seperately? (i.e. these). Seems a very good deal if you get the four shocks AND springs for £360. But yes I would get the Sportlines to replace the Koni springs and fit them all at once.

Ali - yup, I'm ghey, can't live with the Apex on my std shocks. Need a bit more ground clearance for the "offroading" to biking centres too.

Clio 172 MK II
2/ Eibach Sportlines / Koni adjustable shocks

I have this and I am very happy with this setup, it is good for the road, and I tested it on the track, and it performed very well also

Cheers for the advice folks.

Had a good think about it (this was as a result of my involvement in the FK groupbuy that's gone t*ts up as FK can't/won't supply the goods). Two options I was considering were Spax RSX (the brave option) or Sportlines/Koni adjustables (the safe option). More interested in buying something I've heard reviews on and is rated by a lot of members, so was going for the Sportlines/Koni adjustables.

That was until I got offered a good price for H+R coilovers and so I'm now getting them instead - woohoo :)