ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Suspension Question

I have a question - a little late to ask now as Ive already bought the item, but here goes!! :confused:

I have a MK2 172 non cup (need climate and love Xenons - but I do love the Cup and its wheels etc) on an 02 plate, I called ADP to order a set of lowering springs, they were very helpful and said that in their mind Renault had done the best job possible on the Clio Cup set up, i.e. the springs are already perfect and I should buy a set of Cup springs from Renault rather than a set of brand performance springs they could offer. I spoke to my local Renault dealer in Reading (Useless service) and they were going to get back to me as their systems were down!! They never came back, even after 5 days!! In the meantime ADP called me back about other items Im looking at and mentioned that they had a brand new set of (150 miles only) Cup 182 springs that would fit my 172. I double checked with them that my car is a 172 MK2 none Cup not a 182 and they assured me they fit fine and work perfectly as the shock sizes are the same. Well Ive bought them and had them sat in my office for the past month awaiting fitting. Ive now booked the car in this weekend for the spring change over, I just want to be sure before parting with my cash and wasting the mechanics time - are they really going to be compatible (182 Cup springs onto a none Cup 172 MK2)?

I called back Renault today and they asked the colour of the new springs (Black with a small blue & yellow dot on the fronts and Black with a small red & white dot on the rears) they then asked about my fitted springs - well there black but I have no idea on the little spots if any as I cannot see them that well. The dealer then realised I wasnt going to buy from them and said he didnt know as the part numbers are different but as an example the cars share other parts with different part numbers!!! Thanks for nothing!!!

So, anyone able to help? Id be really grateful. With thanks Jon R - loving the new ownership :D, just wish I had more time to play in it rather than the boring 4x4 company car that I use in the week! :cry:

[Edited by JonRossi on 06 September 2005 at 10:57pm]

[Edited by JonRossi on 06 September 2005 at 11:00pm]

193 mk2

as far as i know (limited) the springs are the same size on 172 mk2, cup & 182. but the shocks are slightly different. so you should be alright, but you should have bought some eibach pros or sportlines they are better than the cup ones!!!

182 springs will fit fine.

Its an easy job swopping springs though dont go paying over the odds for someone to do it.

Wide, The Bear & Edde,

Youve made my day!! I was begining to worry a great deal abou this whole idea!!

As for what Im paying - local mechanic that once looked after my Lancia Integrale Evo2 although I dont know him that well as I knew the owner and trusted the garage. The guys gone out on his own and now looks after Renault, Subura and Hondas. Hes charging me £80.00 all in.....:D

This seems okay as Renault in Theale wanted to charge me £230 + vat and said it takes about 3.5 hours!!!!

Im based in Berkshire and this is the only guy I know to do it local, so Itll have have to do.

However your advice is has been really helpful and Im more than grateful. Thank you.

Lionel Richie

it takes no more than 1hr 30min

sorry but i think you idea of putting 182 springs on a 172 is VERY pointless

Oh!!

Why? Its not just a set of 182 springs onto a 172 - these are the Cup 182 springs in replacement of my 172 standard springs on a none Cup model!!

Stiffer springs and lower should = better handling.

This was confirmed by ADP who could have sold me a set of Eibechs, money wasnt really an issue and they new this as Ive ordered other items from them!

However Im happy to hear your reasoning behind your post - Im not mechanical so Im blind on this one!?!

Any others think its a bad idea!! Ive only got till Saturday to decide!

T.you

[Edited by JonRossi on 07 September 2005 at 9:13pm]

Lionel Richie

itll lower the car about 3mm (seriously)

and youll still have a stupid amount of bodyroll

go for Apex or Eibach springs