ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

**SWIRL WARNING** Honda Civic EG Detail + Road Trip 18 years of Neglect

Astra VXR NBG ED
Thread copied from VXRO and go easy, by no means am I professional!!

Hope you enjoy the write up.

Hi All,

Firstly can I thank Shane, Kirsty and Dave for an amazing day. Full of laughs, cars, boost, VTEC and supercharge!!!

Shanes EG was in a pretty bad state at the start of play. Its an L reg Honda Civic, yes that makes it just over 18 years old, almost as old as the owner (Shane)!! Unfortunately the previous owner had neglected this car badly, and had the bonnet "stickerbombed" to which some of the sticker residue had almost set into the laquer making it near impossible to get out. Also a few patches of rust here and there, but non the less I gave it my best shot.

So I arrived at 10AM to get the stuff out the car and get cracking. Heres what the car looked like upon arrival:

IMG_6601.jpg

IMG_6602.jpg

IMG_6603.jpg

IMG_6604.jpg

IMG_6605.jpg

IMG_6606.jpg

So I set to work and started with the wheels. Treated with Very Cherry Wheel Cleaner from autobrite and agitated with AG brush and rinsed.

IMG_6607.jpg

IMG_6608.jpg

IMG_6609.jpg

So then I hit the car with Magifoam and 2BM washed.

IMG_6610.jpg

IMG_6611.jpg

Car was then lubed, clayed and then dried. Results after:

IMG_6612.jpg

IMG_6613.jpg

IMG_6614.jpg

Bonnet was then attacked with Menzerna Power finish. couple of 50/50 after the first pass. Please excuse the sticker residue that would not come out.

IMG_6615.jpg

IMG_6616.jpg

IMG_6617.jpg

IMG_6620.jpg

Car was then rolled into the garage to concentrate on small section. Quarter of the bonnet taped up and worked Menzerna in:
IMG_6621.jpg

Results:

IMG_6622.jpg

IMG_6623.jpg

IMG_6624.jpg

Shanes Face when he saw the improvement:
IMG_6626.jpg

So come 1 oclock, we had a short break and drink, offered to take shane for a quick blast in the burg!!

Before:

IMG_6628.jpg

After:

IMG_6629.jpg

Rear Arch Before:
IMG_6634.jpg

After:

IMG_6636.jpg

IMG_6637.jpg

50/50 on the spoiler:
IMG_6638.jpg

IMG_6639.jpg

Rest of the car taped and some results after a pass of the DA:
IMG_6641.jpg

IMG_6642.jpg

IMG_6643.jpg

IMG_6644.jpg

IMG_6645.jpg

IMG_6647.jpg

The roof was in quite a bad state, before shot:

IMG_6648.jpg

IMG_6649.jpg

Section of the roof mid correction:
IMG_6651.jpg

Reflection of the florescent lighting:

IMG_6653.jpg

IMG_6661.jpg

R222 Concours waxed applied, tyres dressed and windows cleaned. Some beading shots as it started to rain and finished up results:

IMG_6662.jpg

IMG_6657.jpg

IMG_6659.jpg

IMG_6663.jpg

IMG_6666.jpg

IMG_6669.jpg

IMG_6671.jpg

IMG_6677.jpg

Shanes EPIC gearknob:

IMG_6676.jpg

So all in all, Shane and I both very happy with the results, especially considering I only had 6 or 7 hours with the car and will be coming back to keep improving the depth of red back into his car.

Next up we decided to go for a tunnel run and road trip back to stoke on trent. I handed Kristy the camera and she happily obliged to take some snaps: 3 car convoy back to stoke:

IMG_6688.jpg

IMG_6691.jpg

IMG_6692.jpg

IMG_6694.jpg

Joined by an EP3
IMG_6696.jpg

IMG_6699.jpg

IMG_6709.jpg

IMG_6712.jpg

Burg VS Porsche

IMG_6706.jpg

Burg Takes it ;)
IMG_6713.jpg

Dave's Mini (detailing this week)
IMG_6717.jpg

IMG_6728.jpg

I then said, I'd like to get some rolling shots of Shanes car, so hopped into the Mini and here are some of th best shots I got:

IMG_6736.jpg

IMG_6739.jpg

IMG_6757.jpg

IMG_6762.jpg

IMG_6767.jpg

IMG_6769.jpg

My favourite shots of the day (I almost fell out the window of the mini taking these)

IMG_6770.jpg

IMG_6771.jpg

IMG_6773.jpg

IMG_6795.jpg

Was a brilliant day, really enjoyed working in Shane's car and the banter throughout the day
Hope you enjoyed pictures of the detail and hope it shows through the pictures how much fun cleaning a car and reaping the rewards can be.

Some true friends made that day.

Thanks once again for taking the time to read and look through

Ben

Good work on the correction, especially round what is a very rough car.

However, Tardis and IronX are there for your benefit. Tardis would have made short work of the sticker residue. A consideration for next time :star:

Astra VXR NBG ED
Good work on the correction, especially round what is a very rough car.

However, Tardis and IronX are there for your benefit. Tardis would have made short work of the sticker residue. A consideration for next time :star:

Tardis and Iron X would not of removed it bud. Menzerna FG500 wouldn't touch it on a cutting compound! The stickers almost have sunk into the laquer so looks like a wet sand job or even just a new bonnet!!

Tardis and Iron X would not of removed it bud. Menzerna FG500 wouldn't touch it on a cutting compound! The stickers almost have sunk into the laquer so looks like a wet sand job or even just a new bonnet!!

I disagree. Of course you were there in person, but there is a difference between chemical cleaners and polishes. Look at the amount of grime paint cleansers such as Werkstat prime remove from the paint work, even after polished have been used.

Tardis breaks the chemical (glue in this instance) down - polishes take a layer off the top.

Astra VXR NBG ED
I disagree. Of course you were there in person, but there is a difference between chemical cleaners and polishes. Look at the amount of grime paint cleansers such as Werkstat prime remove from the paint work, even after polished have been used.

Tardis breaks the chemical (glue in this instance) down - polishes take a layer off the top.

Its not a residue on the bonnet. It's almost like a the stickers have been painted and then laquered of the top. Almost like bubbled paint effect as when you rub your fingers over it it doesn't feel sticky, feels like polished paintwork. I've spoken to JuicyJen and a detailer that works for her (while she's pregnant anyway) and his first reaction was use tardis, but if menzerna FG is not even starting to touch then either wet sand or as cheap as it is may aswell just get a new bonnet!

I was also surprised at your use of S500 as well... Was it necessary to go that harsh so quickly? What did you refine it with?

Astra VXR NBG ED
I was also surprised at your use of S500 as well... Was it necessary to go that harsh so quickly? What did you refine it with?

I used firstly Menzerna power finish which isn't as abrasive as the 500 Menz. Just for final finishing really and like i said didn't have a great deal of time. Maybe 6 or 7 hours to get the finish I was looking for. Then a nice finish with the R222!

I used firstly Menzerna power finish which isn't as abrasive as the 500 Menz. Just for final finishing really and like i said didn't have a great deal of time. Maybe 6 or 7 hours to get the finish I was looking for. Then a nice finish with the R222!

Beg pardon, that's my eyes! Old age, here I come!