ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

t***s at carphonewarehouse

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
good mate of mine had a 9 months old iphone 3g and the screen just stopped working.

i fix - flash phones etc, but he said as it had warranty he would just take it back to carphone.

after 3 months they came back saying the phone had water damage and thats not covered. apparently they had sent it to apple to check. only problem is it hadnt been anywhere near water. had a few to's and throw's with carphone but they were insistant.

he took it to apple and they said the same thing.

so i got hold of it tonight took the screen off and no water damage at all. the connector that connects the screen to the main pcb had come off.

plugged it back in and guess what..... phone works just fine.

tossers..............

1 Series Coupe
iirc there is something in the headphone socket that can tell if the phone has been water damaged? Someone confirm?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Re: tw*ts at carphonewarehouse

iirc there is something in the headphone socket that can tell if the phone has been water damaged? Someone confirm?

apparently so a little red dot but i cant see it and theres no damage inside

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Did they give him a photo of the damage?

I've got a set of torx, but that don't make me an expert.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182

Did they give him a photo of the damage?

I've got a set of torx, but that don't make me an expert.

no they didnt.

ive been fixing phones for over 5 years and run an ebay business selling phones so i know a thing or two

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Cool, nice one.

This is not the typical experience at CPW. Or indeed at Apple.
Lets not tar everyone with the same brush for the sake of it.

You should have had a photo, its an IRIS (CPW's Repair System) requirement for waterdamage

Well done for fixing it.

Titanium 182

Cool, nice one.

This is not the typical experience at CPW. Or indeed at Apple.
Lets not tar everyone with the same brush for the sake of it.

You should have had a photo, its an IRIS (CPW's Repair System) requirement for waterdamage

Well done for fixing it.

Sigh :rolleyes:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Sigh?

I could get 10 people from this forum alone who would testify how good Apple customer services are.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
well its not my fone, but im pretty sure there were no photos.

just shows though they didnt take it to bits otherwise they would have seen the lose connector

Titanium 182

Sigh?

I could get 10 people from this forum alone who would testify how good Apple customer services are.

I don't give a crap about Apple or how good there customer service is mate I just think it's funny how you praise them so much on here. :approve:

What a superb response. So glad you're contributing to this thread.

CPW might be a bit poor but Apple are second to none with regards to customer service.

If they say its water damaged, then guess what? You got water in it.

That wasn't the cause of the problem, but its fixed now. Its standard procedure for any phone company to check for water. How many people phone and say "My screen just stopped working" when in reality they dropped it in a pubble/water/the toilet. Once water has been detected they don't go any further.

Titanium 182

CPW might be a bit poor but Apple are second to none with regards to customer service.

That wasn't the cause of the problem, but its fixed now. Its standard procedure for any phone company to check for water. How many people phone and say "My screen just stopped working" when in reality they dropped it in a pubble/water/the toilet. Once water has been detected they don't go any further.

Quite...

It was nothing to do with apple, but it is quite funny to see the Apple martyr's rising up to quash the infidels once again.

iphone ftw ;)

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182

no your wrong!

the phone has no water in it whatsoever...

there was a loose cable and had carphone or apple actually checked they would have seen this

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
yep

can you see water or green crap on the metal contacts caused by water damage or water stains on the back of the screen

DSC_0228Large.jpg

DSC_0229Large.jpg

DSC_0233Large.jpg

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
I agree with every post in this thread, Apples customer service is excellent, and, it makes me FLOL how defensive a couple of people get on here if anything bad is said about Apple/Iphone.

As you say, no signs of water damage there and if they had actually opened it they'd of found the loose connection therefore its quite a logical and fair assumption to make that they have infact not done their job properly and lied about it.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Tbh, if any sign or water damage could stop them from even bothering to take the phone apart then i'd agree that its not really acceptable.

What happens if you use your iPhone in the gym with sweaty hands/head? Are you not allowed to answer your iPhone on summers days if you are perspiring?

If either company had actually taken the phone apart surely they would have seen the loose connector and there really isnt any reason they wouldnt have re-connected it is there? And if the water damage was seen without even taking the phone apart i dont see how that works due to my previous point.

Storm Grey 200

hehe, tom and revels heart apple.

then again who doesn't all my stuffs been out of warranty and they just give me new ones, love it

clio 182
If the repair centre open the handset and see any evidence of "Liquid Ingress" posh word for water inside the handset then it does just void the warranty and they will not fix or even look at anything inside the handset as it voids the warranty as water damage and physical damage arent covered. There are several indicators and checks they do to test.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
indeed but no water here

what do i know that they dont? probably nothing yet i got it working and they couldnt?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

In this case 2 of the several visible indicators aren't triggered.

The bits i've circled would be pink if activated by water.

Last edited: