ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

T1-R's, A539's, Sport Contacts, Pilot Exalto's or F1's ?

My 172 FF is running Yokohama A539s on the front and Toyo Proxes on the rear at the moment.

My front tyres are going to need replaced in the next month or so.

My choice is between the 5 below.

Toyo Proxes T1-R,
Yokohama A539 (running at moment and wear to quick and useless in wet)
Continental Sport Contacts,
Michelin Pilot Exalto's
Goodyear F1's

My mate mentioned Kumho Ecstas of Federal Super steels :eek:

What do you's guys think i should go for ?

Remember that dry days are few and far between in Aberdeen as well so i need some that are good all rounders ;)

172 Race Car
Contis or pe2's, i my experiance they seam to be the best. I didnt like f1's at all and will never get them again.

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
as above! contis on my cup and will keep using them now! had khumos when i got it and they are teflon tyres

as above! contis on my cup and will keep using them now! had khumos when i got it and they are teflon tyres

Ok cheers, i had conti's on the front of the car when i bought it (about 1 1/2 years ago)

And i can say they were better than the yoko's i replaced them with.

I thought Yoko's were meant to be good ?

And are Kumho's reaaly that bad ?

S

Ste 185

i had uniroyal rainsports on the front of mine and they were good. At the moment i have got f1's on and i think these are fine.

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
Always found A539's very soft and only good in the dry - Eagle F1's have always been my fave tyre wet or dry to be honest. Got exaltos on the back of my 182 and not overly impressed, but they're better then the budgets the previous owner put on the front. Going to have to go soon...

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I have Pzeros on my cup and they are awful, really slippery if there is any hint of damp on the road. A cup shouldnt spin its wheels in 3rd for gods sake ...... Will be getting Contisports on asap - i have used them on all my previous cars and been very happy with them :)

You'll have a hard time getting anymore yoko a539s anyway so I'd discount them.

I found them excellent in the dry, not brilliant in the wet, but good enough for sensible driving.

I've got Exaltos on and they are awesome tyres even in the wet.

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
Kumho's on a budget
Avon ZV3 mid priced
Conti SC2 / mich pe2 for high priced

conti, mich both standard on 1#2 over the years

i ran conti sport contact 2 when i had a 172, also avons. didnt find any diff

Ok cheers guys looks like i'm torn between pilots and sport contacts.

As its been raining here all day today :(

And the Yoko A539's i have are crap, the car just spun throught 1st,2nd and 3rd gear and thats being gradual with throttle :( (glad there discontinued)

Thought i'd bump this thread to see if anyone had any other suggestions as the birds car has the same size of wheels (its a 206) and her tyres are needing replaced at the moment. :(

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Kumho's on a budget
Avon ZV3 mid priced
Conti SC2 / mich pe2 for high priced

conti, mich both standard on 1#2 over the years

i ran conti sport contact 2 when i had a 172, also avons. didnt find any diff

i think sc2's are discontinued now so they will be running out pretty soon.
tried to order 2 for a new audi a4 avant at work no one could get them
managed to find 2 on the net.

Track 172 & Golf R32
ive got Yokahama A539's and had PE2's before and the PE2's are better in wet and dry conditions the yokes seem a bit slipery in the wet

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
Had 539's and thought ok in the dry (rubbish in the wet) and wear down quickly.

Eage F1's are the best tyres I've had on any car so far.

Exalto's on my 182 were ok, but didn't blow me away.

Toyo T1-R's currently got on the back seem pretty good given how cheap they often seem to be.

172 Cup 2003
I've had most of those but the eagles fook me they were amazing on the clio and i found lasted ages!!

182 Trophy
if you mrs drives slow like most girls do, budgets would be just as good as more £££ ones imo

True .....

Untill someone or something runs out infront of her and she has to brake hard or swerve. The braking distances between budgets and prem tyres is quite unbelivable.

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
^
True again. but it’s the same thing if you have “good tred budgets” V’s “part worn” premiums. when aqua planning. - The deeper the grove the better performance etc

If it a choice of replacing tyres often (about half worn) with budgets each time than buying premiums and not being able to afford to replace them until you have too/on legal markers is a false safety economy imo

Anyway. I do believe its import to but the best tyres you can on cars as it’s the only thing thank connect you to the road. But for my mum for instance who never rev’s over 4K or drives over 70mph I don’t think they would be much point spending double for rubber

I ordered 2 Toyo Proxes T1-R's last night for the 172.

I'll see what like they are :)

I've heard a few good things about them in the weather we get up here.

I may try F1's or Pilot Exaltos next time.

Just need to order tyres for the wife now , she has 195 45 R16 Hankook Ventus on her 206 Quiksilver at the moment that came with her car when she got it. :( :(

Time to get her some decent rubber if its her only contact with the road ;)